Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » I'm Kvelling!
I'm Kvelling! [message #37858] Sat, 17 August 2002 20:02 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
So some of you guys, led by Replay are going back to solid waste amps?
Fuhgeddaboudit!
Re: I'm Kvelling! [message #37860 is a reply to message #37858] Sat, 17 August 2002 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm just behind you; My Paramour kits are on the way.

Right now, I'm working on a 1940 RCA Victor radio I picked up at an estate sale a couple of days ago. Usual treatment, I'll replace all the tubes, capacitors and rewire with original-style cloth insulated wire. I'll strip the finish and sand to bare wood, then apply Minwax polyurethane. Wash the chassis with soap and water, and hit it with a clear coat of paint. Polish the metal dial escutcheon and repair any minor tears in the speaker cone.

1940 RCA Victor Radio, during restoration

Sometimes the rear panel which serves as support for the loop antenna is in good shape, other times not. This time, it's in shreads, so I went to home depot and bought a panel of perforated fiberboard and had it cut to backpanel size. That will now become my new back, and I'll glue the loop to it. The glass dial also has been cracked, so I've run a bead of glass glue to repair it good as new. Hopefully I won't have to wind the field coil like I did on my '39 Stewart Warner radio. I'll rewire the chassis this weekend, and I'll check it while I'm waiting for the tubes to arrive.

I've put up a little web page that shows my old tube radios. It's kinda fun! Check it out!

Just killin' time waiting for my Paramour kits.

Re: I'm Kvelling! [message #37861 is a reply to message #37860] Sun, 18 August 2002 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin is currently offline  Edwin
Baron
Hi Wayne,
Like you, I'm also waiting for my Paramours :-). Just curious. What Pi speakers will you pair it with?
Edwin
Tangential digression, flame shield engaged. [message #37862 is a reply to message #37858] Sun, 18 August 2002 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Nah, never went away from them! Actually, my personal crusade is for active crossovers; how we put up with the degradation the passive units give us when we chase all kinds of other marginal improvements is beyond me, especially when such a good solution exists. That the active unit is demonstrably superior is not a question, the question is, why don't more guys go after it? I have read repeatedly that the crossover introduces more problems than anything else in the chain, and always represents a set of compromises. Why endure it? Sure, I've heard great music from speakers using passives, but I believe, as do some others, that the benefit of the active crossover is one of the more dramatic, quick improvements you can make. I also prefer the superior motor control of the SS units, as well as the headroom. Give me motor control or give me Bose! Anyway, how's that for a tangent? I really think more people should be going this way. There is a reason pro audio went this way long ago, and it wasn't just power handling issues. The more you look at it, the more you think you oughta deal with dividing the bandwidth BEFORE the amps, not after. Nothing else makes as much sense. And given the level of hobby activity ($) many of us have invested, an extra amp and crossover ain't much. I post this on this forum because I tend to think that rationality and non-knee-jerk reactions are more the norm here. Plus no Romy. I also bristled at an audio asylum member's comment awhile ago about "op-amps" and how some "golden ears" (he wouldn't assert that they were HIS ears) said they did terrible things to sound. Talk about your unsubstantiated, non-scientific crap. I asked him who these golden ears were, but of course got no response. So my motto is "DOWN WITH PASSIVE, GO ACTIVE, YOUNG MAN"!
Re: Flame thrower idles passively [message #37863 is a reply to message #37862] Sun, 18 August 2002 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

Well, you gone and done it this time. There's going to be Cat postings all over the place in no time.
There is a lot to be said for a simple two way system with a passive xo that you just plug in, and it sounds great.

Having said that, I love my new Ashley active xo and might even get another so I can have stereo 5 way! lots of nice features and very clean sounding.

Now if you want to really disburse a few dead presidents. Why not go for one of the hi-end Speaker contollers. Very slick hardware.
Not your average active you see.

ßmar

Re: I'm Kvelling! [message #37865 is a reply to message #37861] Sun, 18 August 2002 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'll probably try several. But I think for starters I'll go with either two π's or four π's.
Filters, Romans and Roman filters [message #37866 is a reply to message #37863] Sun, 18 August 2002 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Active/multi-amped is great for those that have the hardware. But for those that don't, I like to have an optimized passive solution available. Most people still use a single power amp or receiver.
Re: Flame thrower idles passively [message #37868 is a reply to message #37863] Sun, 18 August 2002 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Which controller(s) specifically?
Apostles, Acolytes and Fellow Travelers [message #37869 is a reply to message #37866] Sun, 18 August 2002 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I made the comment a while back to the effect that many, if not most of the proponents of "analog" over "digital" had never, or seldom heard a vinyl record.
At one time St. Harry, followed closely by the rest of the sycophantic press decreed that CD's were overly bright and a whole folklore arose as to the superiority of vinyl until it became the conventional wisdom. So much so that the manufacturer's scurried around and spent the last ten years making CD players with filters that rounded off the digital details and lost a lot of the sound.
If vinyl means euphonic and lacking detail (which it doesn't) then I don't want it.
Audio catholicism (small "c") is represented by the brethren of our lady of I haven't heard it but it doesn't matter.
I don't know. I know I love to listen to my honky icehouse PA horns with a Circuit City mass market SACD player. But then..............
WTFDIK?
Re: Flame thrower idles passively [message #37870 is a reply to message #37868] Sun, 18 August 2002 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

Ashley, BSS, Tannoy, Sony, Klark Teknic, Lap Gruppen, Rane, Bryston, Sabine, RCF, Celestian, and Bose to name a few.

Her a two links that should get you into a direction.

Check out the BSS

http://www.canalhifi.com/cgi-bin/chfcat.cgi?user_action=list&category=PROCESSORS

http://www.raperandwayman.com/rw/dept-loudspeaker-control.asp

Previous Topic: Thermionic 3 Pi with Yuichi Arai's A-480 woodhorns
Next Topic: Two Pi's Up and Running!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 09:33:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers