Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » adire vs pi
adire vs pi [message #37631] Sun, 04 August 2002 12:47 Go to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
wow, i go on holidays for a week and a war develops. let's start with lima. premium stage 4 pi's were only demonstrated in the theatre. they were never evaluated side by side with the adire product. everyone made positive comments on the sound of these speakers, even tommy brennan. i answered many questions from listeners in the gallery as to what the heck they were listining to. i only heard positive comments. even bruce edgar made a point of giving the pi's a close inspection. i believe till. e brought his theater 4 pi's into the adire room for a side by side comparison. till even told me he was having problems getting the 4 pi's to sound right. i listened to the adire product and believe it when i say there is no comparison. i found the adire speakers hard sounding and very forward. but then again i did not expect much based on the price. kevin from www.diycable.com ( a super nice guy who was demoing the adire's in lima) was so impressed by the premium stage 4 pi's that i shipped him a pair of kilomax 15's so he could build a pair! finally, the guy's from the chicago horn club whom i met, enjoyed the pi's and commented favourably to me as well. from the statement's posted by str8aro i have to believe the compensation network on the premium stage 4 pi's was faulty. with the wrong network they will sound exactly how he describes. i find the previous banter on this discussion a huge waste of time and it contributes zero to the ongoing improvement of product design.

cheers,

george

Re: adire vs pi [message #37632 is a reply to message #37631] Sun, 04 August 2002 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Brennan is currently offline  Tom Brennan
Baron
George---Whaddaya mean "even" Tommy Brennan? :-) Hell George, I've never stated any dislike for Pi products and have always had good things to say about them, that's because I like those I've heard, I say good things about the Pis on the club site.
Re: adire vs pi [message #37634 is a reply to message #37631] Sun, 04 August 2002 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
str8aro is currently offline  str8aro
Chancellor
Hi George,
I agree that most of what was posted on the HE board is a waste of time. I didn't really mean to stir up such a hornet's nest...

When the 4pi's I heard in Merrillville were originally listened to (before I got there), several people suggested that maybe the crossover was hooked up wrong. Kevin said he had checked the crossover 3 times, I think, and I trust his building talents enough to believe that it was correct. Since I listened to them in the same room, in the same position, and using the same system as the HE10.1's, I felt qualified to give my opinion on the sound of each. If I hadn't heard them in a setup like this, I wouldn't have bothered.

John

Re: adire vs pi [message #37636 is a reply to message #37634] Sun, 04 August 2002 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
hi guys, what was kevin's impression of the sound of the 4 pi's last week. he heard them in lima. did his sound different?

cheers,

george

Re: adire vs pi [message #37637 is a reply to message #37632] Sun, 04 August 2002 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
hi tommy, just trying to flatter you. i've always respected your opinion and sound judgement. the pi's in the theater were the premium stage version which i feel sounded better than even i expected. i think the acoustics of the room were ideal and brought out the best of the product. however the sound john described in merriville sounds like incorrect compensation on the horn. i know, because i've played around with different compensation before and it's crucial to get it right. by the way, i'm wearing a chicago horn club shirt as we speak!

cheers,

george

Re: adire vs pi [message #37638 is a reply to message #37637] Sun, 04 August 2002 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thank you George, like all of the Celtic Race I love being flattered. :-) You can now count on me for anything including 2 votes in any election.

I'll tell you George, at Merrilville I spent most of my time chewing the fat with people, not listening. I did have the ServoDrives all to myself while everyone else was listening to Dan Wiggins' lecture and I cranked them up with Rush, ZZ Top and the Sex Pistols, oh yes. And I listened to Don's VOTs and Kurt's little Fostex dipoles some. But I never even listened in the room with the Adires and Pis. Nor did I listen to the Pis in the Adire room at Lima.

I take no sides on horn speaker preferences; Pi4s, ServoDrives, JBL, Altec, Klipsch--whatever. The good ones share common virtues; clarity and dynamics. I like for this horn thing to be inclusive, oh a little ball-busting is fun, but I think us hornys oughta stick together. We've more in common than not.

Re: adire vs pi [message #37639 is a reply to message #37631] Sun, 04 August 2002 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron

We in the Chicago Club are a pretty motley crew; we've no agenda, no dues, no set meetings, just some fellas who get together once in a while to listen to each others rigs, drink Old Style and Guinness and talk horns. (And eat Paul Jr's cooking)

As for Mike Bates, hey, Mike is Mike and he's gonna do what he's gonna do. He picks fights and he gets them. Whaddaya gonna do? (shrug)

Re: adire vs pi [message #37641 is a reply to message #37631] Sun, 04 August 2002 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master

Hi guys, just another opinion here.

I wanted to just say what I heard at Lima In regards to Pi speakers and the Adire. The 10.1'a are really nice sounding speakers. I also believe I spent about 3 times as much money for my 10.1 Kit as I did for my 2 Pi kit. How do they compare? couldn't tell ya, never put together the 10.1's so there has been no AB comparison yet. For the money the 2 pi is a great design with no crossover to worry about. I would also think that a lot of people would either like or dislike one or the other because of the piezo vs. a horn arrangement for the highs.

At Lima, The 4pi's George had in the theater sounded very nice in that room. Tills Theater series with the Bottle head amps also sounded great in that room.

No I did get a chance to listen to the 10.1 and the Theater 4 pi in Kevin's DIY Cable room. With Both speakers hooked up to the Bilie amps I thought the 4 pi's had a more dynamic sound and a lower extension. Now using a subwoofer with the 10.1's in this arrangement makes a more difficult decision. It's all about preference. Now when the Theater 4 pi's where hooked up to the 45 SET amps, that was a different story. The 10.1 speakers took a liking to the low end influence those amps brought to the table. While the 4 pi's were over burdened with bass and did not work well with those particular amps.

Like Tommy said, good horn speakers all share more good things in common than not. It would stand to reason that there would be only 2 or 3 speaker manufacturers if everyone thought only one or two speakers sounded good, and with some thousands of speakers builder earning a living with all the different products. There must be a lot of personal preferences that different people are happy to back up with their wallet.

So I offer my opinion hear, because to discuss this in the other thread would be quite fruitless. The original poster's question wasn't about all this and I had no information for him on a 2Pi vs. a 10.1.

So I'm keeping my 4 Pi's and continuing to build different versions of them that suit my needs and taste.

happy horning!

Bill

My Turn [message #37646 is a reply to message #37631] Sun, 04 August 2002 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've stayed out of this,especially on the bigger forum, because Kevin is an absolute mensch starting a new business and some of what I have to say could be taken as negative. That is not to slight Wayne who besides always showing his cards face up is generous to a fault.
I will expand on what has been said about Lima and there is nothing I have not told Kevin, privately.
First, the room was horrible! No matter which amps were used I thought the Adires and my Pi's sounded bad. So bad I at first blamed the mod'ed Sony 775 SACD player and/or the 1812 Overture recording played too loud. The Adires sounded strained with the 300B's and the Korneff 45's with that source. With other music and Kevin's changer I thought, as others did that the Adires were quite musical and dynamic. The Pi's, which I had schlepped upstairs to hear with the EL-34 amp, wound up hooked to the Korneffs, blasting out the 1812. I was sitting on the radiator and whoever was right next to me looked over at me and we said almost as one, "that sounds terrible". I don't know if he knew I was the builder, he seem so disengenuous.
I hate that f'ng 1812!
Ironically, I bought the Sony 775 and love it. Yes, it's more forward than the Cambridge I have and George had at Lima but quite musical. That's another strike against the room.
Now as many people have heard the Adire's as the Pi's in different environments and seldom is heard a discouraging word except when the "political parties" get excited.
The 4 Pi's sounded great in the Auditorium, they sound great in my living room (come on over) and they are good speakers by any measure. I'll put my 4 decades of making music and 3 decades of high end listening up against anyone's ears. And they're not perfect.But that's subjective.
Now finally I have to say that if you weren't at Lima and weren't at Merrillville and haven't heard the Pi's and Adires on the same date, let alone in the same room, shut the F-k up! You have no basis for opinion so don't offer one. And don't bother to offer to hold anyone's coat! If there's anything that frosts my ass about these BB's it's the question about comparing amp A and amp B and 10 respondents chime in with "I haven't heard------- or ------- but I'm sure.........."
And Tom Brennan, the Miklos Rosza march that the USC band always plays is "Entrance of the Chariots" from Quo Vadis.

Re: My Turn [message #37647 is a reply to message #37646] Sun, 04 August 2002 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Till E.---Okay. USC also plays "Conquest" by one of the Newmans from "Captain from Castile". Very stirring, especially as Cortes' little army passes the actual smoking volcano Paracutin as they march into The Valley of Mexico to confront Mochtezuma and destiny. I about plotzed when the laserdisc came out.

USC has a good band but Michigan's is the best or at least they have the best song "Hail to the Victors". I'd like to see a battle of the bands with USC, Michigan, Notre Dame and Wisconsin.

Previous Topic: howcumzit?
Next Topic: dammar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:40:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout