Home » Audio » General » Do you pay for music?
Do you pay for music? [message #4515] Wed, 05 September 2007 14:09 Go to next message
sacback is currently offline  sacback
Baron
I'm just wondering if ppl on this site pay for their music. I do if the artist makes me, but if the artist approves of sharing their music, then I don't. Luckily, most of the bands I like don't make you pay for their music and let you download it for free.

Re: Do you pay for music? [message #4517 is a reply to message #4515] Wed, 05 September 2007 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I buy my music. I like getting the real version of an album rather than a copy.

Re: Do you pay for music? [message #4518 is a reply to message #4517] Wed, 05 September 2007 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yep, I pay. Even for the little "no-name" band's music. I used to be in a little "no-name" band and the extra money from the CD sales sure comes in handy for repairing equipment and such.

Re: Do you pay for music? [message #4520 is a reply to message #4515] Wed, 05 September 2007 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
willyable is currently offline  willyable
Viscount
I guess some people are just too willing to have their music, with or without pay. But if you can download it for free, why pay?

Re: Do you pay for music? [message #4524 is a reply to message #4520] Thu, 06 September 2007 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
"But if you can download it for free, why pay?"

I'm sorry for my obviously dated view of the state of nature, but I think that this attitude is exactly what is wrong with EVERYTHING today. An artist puts some effort into producing a work. He makes the mistake of offering it up on the net or more likely someone else ripped it and posted it without the consent of the artist and with not a penny's payment. You come along and download the work with not the first thought of offering any payment to the artist. Worse, you strongly suggest this it is foolish to make any payment.

"Finders, keepers!"
"What is mind is mine, what is yours is negotiable!"

A pox on the entire "me first" generation(s).

Bob

Agreed!!! [message #4525 is a reply to message #4524] Thu, 06 September 2007 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Yeap [message #4526 is a reply to message #4524] Thu, 06 September 2007 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I don't burn/download music nor will I accept likewise. I'm as cheap as they come, but this practice is criminal......C

Re: Do you pay for music? [message #4528 is a reply to message #4515] Thu, 06 September 2007 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carebear is currently offline  carebear
Esquire
The only kind of music I've ever paid for was the kind in the stores. And that's not often. I mostly listen to the radio.

Re: Yeap [message #4532 is a reply to message #4526] Fri, 07 September 2007 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sacback is currently offline  sacback
Baron
What happens if you were the one that bought the cd and wanted to make a mixed cd of all of your cds? Is it ok to burn them then?

Re: Yeap [message #4533 is a reply to message #4532] Fri, 07 September 2007 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
That's fine. The key is that YOU bought the song. You can do anything you want with that song as long as you don't sell it or give it to someone else. A minor caveat -- you can't play the same song on two different systems at the same time. The copyright statement and/or EULA might say different, but at least this is morally defensible.

Bob

Previous Topic: Fisher SA-300b volume]balance Mod
Next Topic: Happy New Years!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:40:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers