Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » good news and bad news
good news and bad news [message #37014] Thu, 20 June 2002 13:38 Go to next message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
First off the bad news. We looked at the cabinet dimensions for the 4pi theater series and its 9cuft!!! That is way to big. Can we construct smaller cabinets maybe around 5cuft at a hit in bass response? Mitch already has a subwoofer, so bass isnt all that important.

Also, the good news is, Mitch is 90% sure he will build the 4pi's. He needs a good reciever with LOTS of power to drive the 4pi's though. Do you know of any recievers under 300 dollars that are a good value, and actually put out their rated power? Thanks!

Re: good news and bad news [message #37015 is a reply to message #37014] Thu, 20 June 2002 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Under 300? That's quite a stretch. You can find some decent power amps for that price, but not a fully integrated receiver/amplifier that is good at all.

Adam

lot's of good vintage receivers on ebay nt [message #37016 is a reply to message #37014] Thu, 20 June 2002 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
nt
Re: good news and bad news [message #37018 is a reply to message #37015] Thu, 20 June 2002 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
josephjcole is currently offline  josephjcole
Esquire
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but I got a old dynaco tube amp with a matching AM/FM reciever for $120 off of ebay. It only has twelve watts of power but I've never felt a lack of power when listening to my pi 3's. With just a little bit of work the dynaco sound pretty nice.... I like it at least...
Joe
Re: good news and bad news [message #37019 is a reply to message #37014] Thu, 20 June 2002 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman is currently offline  Bugman
Chancellor
I would not bother with a new reciever for under three hundred, you wont get very much, but I would agree that if you look at audigon or ebay you will be able to find something decent for 300 bucks. Try one of the bigger Sansui, Pioneer or Marantz recievers. Some models need a little cleaning now and then to keep them from making some noise. But that is one thing you have to deal with.
Solutions for 5 cubic feet [message #37020 is a reply to message #37014] Thu, 20 June 2002 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you need smaller size, I suggest the Stage, Premium or Profesional Series four π Speakers. The woofers in them work just fine in cabinets from 2 to 5 cubic feet.

Re: good news and bad news [message #37021 is a reply to message #37014] Thu, 20 June 2002 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well of course you don't need lots of power with Pi's but then you already know that. So perhaps you do need the power. If so, a '70's reciever is just the thing if it works. Here's a 75 watt Marantz chosen more or less at random. Audiogon has been good to me but you MUST speak to the seller by phone to get the vibes.

I have no conection to the seller and this is not a recommendation, just an example.

Re: good news and bad news [message #37022 is a reply to message #37018] Thu, 20 June 2002 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Well, the problem with tubes is that they severly limit the max SPL. He wants high output, with decent sound quality too. Tubes just wont work. Ideally he would get a Crown Macrotech like Wayne has, but they cost a thousand dollars or more. He likes his music very loud, and needs a semipowerful amplifier.
Re: Solutions for 5 cubic feet [message #37023 is a reply to message #37020] Thu, 20 June 2002 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hmm, this could be a problem then. He is already stretching his pocketbook already, I think most of his first paycheck is going into these speakers! Remeber we are only college students! :-) The funny thing is, we were discussing the box size the other day, and he said they are way too big, but he would probably build them anyways! So, he might go for it, but Im not sure.

I still think he wouldnt be that bad off with a pair of 2pi's but of course he wants compression drivers.

Is there any way he can go with a sealed enclosure for the 4pi's theater series? I know you arent a big fan, since it sacrifices some output, but since the Bass isnt as much of an issue, will it still be a problem?

Also, why does putting the woofer in too small make it too underdamped? I thought a smaller enclosure would make the impedence peaks less magnitude. Or does the underdamping cause more peaking? Thanks.

Re: good news and bad news [message #37026 is a reply to message #37022] Thu, 20 June 2002 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
josephjcole is currently offline  josephjcole
Esquire
With speakers as effecient as the pi's are I cann't see the need for more than fifteen or twenty watts unless you are using them to put on concerts. I never turn mine past the half-way point with twelve watts, at which point conversation is pretty much gone, and if I did have neighbors I'm sure I would be getting complaints.
Previous Topic: Plans for 4pi professional series
Next Topic: Basic Xover questions....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:02:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout