Home » Audio » General » OT: computer suggestions.
OT: computer suggestions. [message #4484] Wed, 08 August 2007 22:42 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
My son is wanting a new puter, since the one he uses is archaic and this laptop I use is vastly underpowered for anything besides surfing and music.

He has really gotten into making his animations using freeware like anim8tor and has started doing his own HTML stuff (loves graphics and such and just made a page showing how to solve a Rubiks cube with animation and such). Our laptop barely suffices for this, so I told him if he would save his money that I would spring for 1/2 of a new one. We are looking to spend a total of $1K.

What do ya'll suggest to look for as I'm completely dumbfounded by it all?

Any suggestions

Re: OT: computer suggestions. [message #4485 is a reply to message #4484] Thu, 09 August 2007 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm like you when it comes to computers but I know that too-much $$$ Mac's are the best for graphics.

A few years ago I had a new PC done by a local computer shop. For less than $500 I got a 1.2GHz AMD Athlon processor/motherboard, 40mB hard drive, 256k memory, CD writer, 350 watt power supply and a decent graphics card in a nice case. They also took care of a few issues that popped up afterward on a morning to afternoon basis. That's why I like dealing locally rather than Dell or Best Buy, etc.

You should check your local shops and go to CNet for reviews and commentary on components to know what you want.

Ask your son [message #4486 is a reply to message #4484] Thu, 09 August 2007 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
More than likely he can tell you exactly what you (he) needs (wants)......C

Re: Ask your son [message #4487 is a reply to message #4486] Thu, 09 August 2007 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Actually, he really doesn't know much about computers. he's into using them if they work, but has never paid attention to the specs.

Re: OT: computer suggestions. [message #4488 is a reply to message #4485] Thu, 09 August 2007 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
We've actually got a friend who runs a computer repair place. I may need to talk with him.

My best friend used a Mac for years. He does publishing and such for his jobs through the years, plus runs his own photography studio, and he swore by them. But he recently went to a PC due to the fact that the software he was using for the Mac was getting way to expensive to upgrade. His PC is way beyond anything I could afford. I mean, he uses a top of the line Nikon digital camera and needs all the computing power he can get to deal with his pics and magazine publications.

Re: OT: computer suggestions. [message #4489 is a reply to message #4484] Thu, 09 August 2007 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheetah5386 is currently offline  Cheetah5386
Esquire
Shane,

Believe it or not I would recommend looking at Dell. For %1,000 you can get a very nice computer, and Dell comes with a one year on site warranty. Second year is depot only.

You could always have some one knowledgeable, pick up the parts and put a good system together. Dollar wise you can save a couple $200-$300 for a comparable machine, but you loose the warranty.

Spec wise, I would look for the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo
1 to 2 Gig of memory
250 to 350 GB hard drive
A decent video card nVidia 7600 or above, ATI makes some great cards as well, but I tend to lean towards nVidia in preference.
Any system built around a current nVidia chip set, for Core 2 Duo, will be very fast. nVidia chipsets always perform at the top of the pack in any price category.

Shop with these suggestions in mind, and you will end up with a very nice machine indeed.

Joe

PS. Microsoft will not sell any more copies of Win XP after the end of the year. Vista, while newer, demands more resources from your computer, and so tends to run slower in a head to head comparison to XP. So you might want to purchase this fall and go with XP.

Re: OT: computer suggestions. [message #4492 is a reply to message #4484] Thu, 09 August 2007 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I usually buy computers like commodities these days. I keep a few running, and at least two of them have everything I need. All are on a network. When one of them becomes three years old, I buy another to replace it and load it with all information. I leave the old one on the network and that makes information transfer to newer machines easy. This way I have some redundancy and backups, and it also gives me an upgrade path in the same process. Simple and pretty cost effective.

Buying computers like that, it has become smart to shop for the best deal at the time of purchase. It usually is either a Gateway or Dell, something like that. I used to buy my own parts and put them together, both to save money and to hand-pick my peripherals so I get exactly what I want. That approach doesn't usually save much money anymore, but it is a way to cherry-pick your parts for best performance. Running graphics, especially if you want to render 3D images by ray-tracing, you may still want to cherry pick your parts. You'll want a fast dual core processor, a lot of memory and a good graphics card. Spend your money on those options and you'll be happier.

Re: OT: computer suggestions. [message #4493 is a reply to message #4489] Thu, 09 August 2007 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks!

Yes, this will be a Xmas "present" for him. So we may be able to pick up an XP unit still at that point.

Re: Ask your son [message #4496 is a reply to message #4487] Fri, 10 August 2007 12:29 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sotty, hope I wasn't blunt. I just assumed your son had a monster system picked out........now where's that credit card...

Previous Topic: Where's Duke?
Next Topic: Big sale tomorrow
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:03:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout