Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Ooops... :(
Ooops... :( [message #36787] Thu, 06 June 2002 11:34 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, me being as smart as I am, I decided to hook my Eminence 2-ways (similar to 4 pi's), temporary 10 watt resistors and low-power electrolytes and all, up to the brand new 1,800 watt car amplifier I just had shipped in.

Anyway, suffice it to say, it took about one minute of high volume playing before I started smelling a funny smell. It was that smell you smell when you burn MDF in the table saw or wahtever, ya know? I thought it was the amp, but of course the amp was fine.

So eventually I picked up that it was the speakers! I open up the box, and it reeks of that burning smell. I look at the resistors, fortunately they are intact, however they are still too hot to touch, ten minutes after I shut them down. Every temporary electrolyte capacitor in both crossovers are thouroughly cooked, however. So much heat, it burnt the MDF from what I can smell!!!

With all that clean power, the speakers sounded absolutely beautiful at high levels, while I had them going anyway. The woofers are fine, and I'm *pretty* sure the compression drivers are as well, however I think it's time for the cheapy temporary resistors and caps to take a hike for good. :P

There's the amp.
http://enclave.hypermart.net/bird/usa4001.jpg
http://enclave.hypermart.net/bird/usa4002.jpg

Adam

You let the smoke out of your 'lytics, did you? [message #36788 is a reply to message #36787] Thu, 06 June 2002 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Adam!

I used to joke that if I could blow the smoke back in, the components would work again. [grin]

Glad they didn't explode from pressure of the boiling electrolyte and puncture your speaker cones.

Wayne

got specs? [message #36794 is a reply to message #36787] Thu, 06 June 2002 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
know of a specs page for that amp?

How much RMS juice does it give through 8 ohms?

Re: got specs? [message #36797 is a reply to message #36794] Fri, 07 June 2002 07:18 Go to previous message
SirAdam is currently offline  SirAdam
Esquire
About 500 watts into 8 ohms, but I had the two bridged to the amp fora a 4 ohm load, output roughly 1200 watts. I'm saying roughly because it delivers a lot more than what its actually rated to.

Adam

Previous Topic: Custom Theater Sevens
Next Topic: Midrange in Pi 7's.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 04:37:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers