Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Textured Cabinet Finish
Textured Cabinet Finish [message #36690] Wed, 29 May 2002 07:49 Go to next message
Mark H is currently offline  Mark H
Esquire
Anyone had any luck with DIY texture finishes like on pro cabinets?
I know it is a catalyst type pait and Sherwin Williams is one manufacturer.
ANY input would be helpful. I am planning on finishing my own cabinets for DJ / PA use.

THANKS!! GREAT FORUM!!!

Re: Textured Cabinet Finish [message #36692 is a reply to message #36690] Wed, 29 May 2002 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A number of years ago I was commisioned to create turntable bases and paint them with the same sort of "crackle" finish as computer cases. I too, went to Sherwin-Williams for their catalytic finish. One glance at the MSDS (manufac safety data sheet), the sealed air breathing equipment and OSHAA restrictions and I wound up putting sand in epoxy paint. Wasn't too good, though!
Re: Textured Cabinet Finish [message #36721 is a reply to message #36690] Sat, 01 June 2002 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djstan is currently offline  djstan
Chancellor
Used to be/may still be a company that used a product called texturalac...or something like that, and used to advertise in "speaker building" magazine. It was a spray on product similar to spray on truck bedliner i believe, but looked much better and smoother. Needed pro spray gun to apply. Check with audioxpress.
Re: Textured Cabinet Finish [message #36722 is a reply to message #36690] Sat, 01 June 2002 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djstan is currently offline  djstan
Chancellor
check with audioexpress. they used to advertise a product called "texturalac". it was a spray on coating somewhat like truck spray on bedliner, but looked much smoother. can't remember the name of the company but can look up my old copies of speaker builder if you want.
truck bed liner [message #36747 is a reply to message #36690] Mon, 03 June 2002 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
I went to a local shop that sprays truck beds, and inquired about having them spray some PA cabs. I asked if they could test spray some scraps for me to test adhesion. The fellow said, don't waste my time, it sticks better to wood than to metal. Turns out he had done 28 pair of PA cabs for a commercial sound company in a nearby town. Later I saw these, and asked the guys there how the coating worked for them... they have had no problems.

So, look for your nearest Rhino, Gator, or whatever brand, installer, and just take your spkrs there.

You can also buy Durolux(I think is the brand name) at Walmart, but I have not tested it for texture with the roller kit they sell. The commercial places have a special hopper type spraygun that is set up to splatter the very thick coating. Just easier to me to bring the boxes to the truck bed guys to do.

Re: truck bed liner [message #36768 is a reply to message #36747] Tue, 04 June 2002 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, I don't know if you had the same spray coating done that I did, but I have some sort of undercoating sprayed on a couple of my enclosures, and it was awful. The things scratched so easily I couldn't believe it. I was very angry.

Adam

Re: truck bed liner [message #36771 is a reply to message #36768] Tue, 04 June 2002 19:10 Go to previous message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
No, not an undercoating... this is a thick, tough, rubbery material. We have our work truck beds sprayed with this material (Rhino) and toss in all kinds of heavy steel parts, move stuff in and out with forklifts, and have very little damage. It has a rough, pebbly, textured appearance.
Previous Topic: Pi & Berning ZOTL
Next Topic: RF interference?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:09:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout