Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials
Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials [message #36664] Sun, 26 May 2002 23:05 Go to next message
Peter Krojgaard is currently offline  Peter Krojgaard
Baron
Hi Wayne, (and others)!

You sell both exponential horn flares made of different materials (e.g. aluminium and wood) and Bruce Edgar’s tractrix “salad bowls”.

1. Could you please elaborate on the differences in sound between these different horns?

2. I prefer a very CLEAR sound. Which of the horn kinds would you recommend keeping that particular preference in mind?

Thank you very much in advance. Others are more than welcome too to contribute with their experiences, of course!

Regards,
pk

Re: Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials [message #36665 is a reply to message #36664] Mon, 27 May 2002 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I prefer 90x40 horns because they provide a good pattern in-room, especially when used in cornerhorns. That's a unique situation because directivity is equal throughout the entire audio band if all horns have a 90 degree pattern. This makes the reverberent field uniform, and I think that sounds most natural. But all of the horns you've mentioned sound very good to me.

How about the sound of CD horns then? [message #36666 is a reply to message #36665] Mon, 27 May 2002 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Krojgaard is currently offline  Peter Krojgaard
Baron
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for a thorough reply (as always)!

A third "kind"(?) of flare is the so-called Constant Directivity horns. At least from a distance they "look" quite similar to the purely exponential horns, although I understand that they are somewhat different mathematicially.

Do you also find that CD-horns are almost similar in SOUND compared to purely exponential and round tractrix horns, or do CD-horns have different sound characteristics?

Thanks again!

Regards
Peter

Re: Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials [message #36667 is a reply to message #36665] Mon, 27 May 2002 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Wayne, please help those of us who are just plain ignorant and define the terms you've used and give examples.

Thanks a ton for all you do.

Re: How about the sound of CD horns then? [message #36668 is a reply to message #36666] Mon, 27 May 2002 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Axisymmetric CD horns sound midrange heavy and require equalization to sound right. I prefer 90o radial horns, which provide constant directivity in the horizontal plane. That ensures room coverage is good and the reverberent field is uniform. But it doesn't need quite as much EQ because it has collapsing DI in the vertical plane at high frequencies. Please see the post called "Characteristics of various horn flares" for more information.
Re: Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials [message #36670 is a reply to message #36667] Mon, 27 May 2002 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not sure what terms you are looking for, but you might look at the post called "Characteristics of various horn flares" for more information.
Re: Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials [message #36678 is a reply to message #36664] Mon, 27 May 2002 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Brennan is currently offline  Tom Brennan
Baron
pk---I never heard a horn and good driver that wasn't clear and I've heard lots of them, clarity ain't a problem. Dispersion makes a big difference in the sound of the horn IME. I have some 130 degree McCauley horn-lenses and they bounce lots of sound off the sidewalls making for a "big", diffuse kind of sound with a very wide image. With 90 degree horns like Altec 511s the image draws in and sounds more "collected", I like that better. But the big image I got from 120 degree EV SM-120As was far better than the stock K-400 horns on some Klipsch LaScalas I had, the stock horns were so directive, like a laser it seemed, they gave me big-time earwire (like a wire being twisted in your ears). Now I use Edgar "saladbowls" and all I can say is they sound "right". Supposedly the tractrix curve gives a better launch to the soundwaves, I dunno but they sound good. I've used Altec, EV, JBL, PAudio, McCauley and Klipsch horn flares, I prefer the Edgars, 2nd best is the Altec 511B. My opinions ya understand. Here's a funny thing though. One day Paul Eizik came over with his home-made tractrix horns and we spent the afternoon listening to a variety of horns and drivers: Paul's horns, the Edgars, Altec 511s with 4 different sets of Altec and JBL drivers, mixing and matching. You know what? They ALL sounded good. Yeah, you could hear a difference going from say, Paul's horns with JBL 2426s to JBL LE-175s on Edgars to Altec 806s on 511s, but the differences were in detail not in quality and after a few minutes we were just listening to the music and forgetting about which horn-drivers were in use. Horns are low distortion-high clarity devices, once you have that going the music sounds good.
Re: Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials [message #36679 is a reply to message #36665] Mon, 27 May 2002 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RJW is currently offline  RJW
Chancellor
Wayne or Anyone,
Are there pictures?
I've seen pictures of Dr. Edgars on other (his own) speakers but not Pi's. I'm interested in the Pi4 Hf configuration.
Dr. Ed's cool, my personal prejudice. He's in the Gods of Gearheads Club!
Thanks Ron
Re: Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials [message #36680 is a reply to message #36670] Mon, 27 May 2002 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RJW is currently offline  RJW
Chancellor
Wayne,
Thanks, nice post.
Ron
Re: Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials [message #36681 is a reply to message #36679] Mon, 27 May 2002 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I do not use Edgar horns in my designs; I have made them available on my shopping cart because Bruce doesn't have a website for people to be able to purchase from.

Previous Topic: Theater 3 or 4
Next Topic: Specs RCF L15/554K
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:42:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout