Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Horn flare survey
Horn flare survey [message #35941] Fri, 12 April 2002 14:44 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This weekend, I plan to setup an inventory for my online store. I'd like some feedback from each of you on a particular subject.

Eminence H290 or Peavey CH-3.

I'd like to also make available the nice wood horns that Bill Martinelli is making, but for an entry level horn flare, I need to decide on one of the above.

Here's the deal. I can get Eminence H290 horn flares for thirty bucks and Peavey CH-3's for fourty-five. That's the price you'll find 'em at from places like Parts Express. I personally like the looks of the CH-3 better in large cabinets over about 6 cubic feet, but when crossed at 1.6Khz, there is very little difference acoustically. The CH-3 is an 800Hz horn and the H290 is a 1kHz horn, so they are really the same thing, and you can't tell them apart by listening to them. The difference is truly aesthetic only. Well, that and the price.

So two options I'm considering are to offer the horn specified in the existing plans, or change all models to use the H290. Right now, for example, the Theater Series four π Speaker plans specify the Peavey CH-3, and this is what many of you have built with and that I always use. But lots of you have built with the H290 too, and really, your speakers look great. There is no acoustic difference, so it boils down to a matter of looks.

If I put the price in inventory for a Theater Series four π Speaker kit having a Peavey CH-3, it will cost $241.91. The exact same kit, substituting an Eminence H290 is $225.45. Either way, a pair of Theater four π Speakers cost about five hundred bucks in kit form, but the pair having Peavey flares is a little over thirty dollars more, being $16.46 more a piece.

So what do you all think? Leave 'em as-is, providing the Peavey flares or switch to using all Eminence?

Re: Horn flare survey [message #35942 is a reply to message #35941] Fri, 12 April 2002 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
personally, I like the look of the H290 better than the Two piece peavey with a crack showing all the way through it.

if there is no acoustic difference from the finished speaker with either horn, it's possible the DIY people buying kits would also like to save the additional 33 bucks for a pair.
just my opinion.

bmar

Re: Horn flare survey [message #35943 is a reply to message #35941] Fri, 12 April 2002 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
I'd go with the H-290, most people who buy a kit are prolly trying to save money.

Get the H-290 from Image Communications for $23.50. Infact all of their eminence prices are good.

Re: Horn flare survey [message #35944 is a reply to message #35941] Fri, 12 April 2002 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
i prefer the looks of the h290 and they're easy to buy. seems few places stock peavey. i had a hell of a time locating them in canada.

cheers,

george

H 290 (nt) [message #35945 is a reply to message #35941] Fri, 12 April 2002 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex Mills is currently offline  Rex Mills
Esquire
Re: Horn flare survey [message #35946 is a reply to message #35941] Fri, 12 April 2002 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Hi Wayne,
I'll add my vote for the h290. Know what though, I wish a cool looking flare was available that would extend beyond the cabinet face. Add an automotive paint finish, .... well I'd like it anyway.
Cheers,
Steve
Re: Horn flare survey [message #35948 is a reply to message #35941] Fri, 12 April 2002 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I hate the soft plastic of the CH-3; but it looks better on the Theatre without a doubt.
OTOH, it should be easy enough to simulate recessing the 290 with a molding thereby extending it's apparent size.
Make the front baffle three piece: inner 24X36 to mount the horn, mid also 24X36 with a slot cut beyond the outer dimension of the horn far enough to accomodate 3/4 round trim to flare the baffle and finally the 24X ? for whichever manner you choose to recess the woofer.
Any takers?
Re: Horn flare survey [message #35953 is a reply to message #35941] Sat, 13 April 2002 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
The H 290 worked for me but there was the problem of the bolt holes for mounting the driver needing modification to get the bolts through. That may be a problem for some DIYers and a problem in customer satisfaction for you!

G.

Re: Horn flare survey [message #35957 is a reply to message #35941] Sat, 13 April 2002 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
I'll place my vote for the CH-3. I'll admit that I'm the kind of guy that will pay a little bit more for aesthetics. I really prefer the looks of it, but that's just me.

Kevin

Re: Horn flare survey [message #35958 is a reply to message #35941] Sat, 13 April 2002 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
boblaz is currently offline  boblaz
Chancellor
I vote for the H-290 with the CH-3 as a special order only.
Previous Topic: Wayne, what about the compensation network??
Next Topic: crossover design... help....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 23:05:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio