Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Portable system help please
Portable system help please [message #35423] Sun, 10 March 2002 23:42 Go to next message
Andy.G is currently offline  Andy.G
Chancellor
A mate wants an easily portable small 12v system, to run off a car battery, to give him some outdoor amplification for his double bass.
Seems that car amps would be the way to go maybe?, with a super efficient 10" or maybe pair of 8" pa drivers (any suggestions as to drivers please).

Needs to be able to run for 2-3 hours at a charging, preferably longer.

Re: Portable system help please [message #35424 is a reply to message #35423] Mon, 11 March 2002 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd probably use a high quality, high power car amp and if it must be disconnected from the car when used, I'd use a good motorcycle, car or tractor battery carried alongside the amp. It could be charged easily using household current or even by plugging into the cigarette lighter on the way. You'll still need some form of a preamp because the pickups on the bass generate a microphone-level signal. As for speakers, Eminence woofers that have "LF" in their name are good for building physically small cabinets and there are several JBL Professional Series woofers that would be great for this as well.
Re: Portable system help please [message #35425 is a reply to message #35424] Mon, 11 March 2002 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andy.G is currently offline  Andy.G
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne, I'll follow up on the Eminence drivers. I know he wants to put the whole thing on wheels (including the battery) as a permanent portable set-up, so it should be an interesting experiment.

AG

Re: Portable system help please [message #35428 is a reply to message #35425] Mon, 11 March 2002 06:49 Go to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You'll *definitely* need a preamp circuit to boost the input voltage into the amplifier. I have actually tried almost the exact setup your friend wants to do, and it worked. But I had trouble getting volume out of it. I actually had to run the guitar through a home amplifier and run the signal to the car amp coming out of the microphone jack!

You might also want to add a tweeter if your friend has a slap guitar.

Adam

Previous Topic: pushed in tweeter
Next Topic: What is the differance between JBL 2226H and 2226HPL?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:09:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio