Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi box question
Pi box question [message #35385] Sat, 09 March 2002 13:15 Go to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
Thinking about the Theater 4 Pi enclosures...

I have some speakers of very similar dimensions (7 inches taller). The only drawback is since they will be 36" tall, the horn will be at the maximum 32" above the ground.. Low.

I've been toying with the idea of tower shaped enclosures.

48X18X18 works... cept kinda ugly and with a big resonance cause of the square..

48X23X14 is cool, and seems like a good fit... though, I want to put the horn up high, but then I'll have to but the woofer up high, cause seperation is bad, but I'll loose some low end cause the woofer is so far off the floor in a tippy enclosure.

I've even thought of tilting the baffle back a few inches on the standard enclosure, though I think it would look silly.

Anyone have some interesting thoughts or ideas about this?

Re: Pi box question [message #35389 is a reply to message #35385] Sat, 09 March 2002 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
i've been pondering my new design and like you want the drivers as high as possible. i'm thinking of building another set of pi's with the jbl4655's i purchased at the tent sale. i'm building new enclosures (separate for each driver) and using tiptoes to separate the enclosures. i'll have 18" subs on the bottom with the 15" mid and horn on top. the horn will be about 5 ft off the ground. the jbl's sound great they just have little response below 100hz. once i determine which woofer to use i'll start cutting the wood. they'll be monsters but hopefully with a nice veneer i can sell'em to the wife as art. who knows?

cheers,
george

Re: Pi box question [message #35390 is a reply to message #35385] Sat, 09 March 2002 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
I was kind of thinking skinnier and taller might look a little better, also, but 32" off the ground for the horn isn't too bad if you're sitting in a bean bag. I just finished putting together the first of my Theater 4 Pis, and I've got to say that they're monsterous. The measurements sound big, but you have no idea until they're sitting in front of you. I'd difinitely be interested to see what you come up with.

Kevin

I know big. [message #35394 is a reply to message #35390] Sat, 09 March 2002 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
I have a good sense of what they will be like...

my first attempt at speakers.. 42X24X18

They sound really good actually. there is a bad dip at around 50 - 60hz, but I've never heard a driver that has such nice sounding low end in the mid 20's. I'l prolly eventually swap the beautiful 15trxb's for some cheaper Eminences and full range those vintage Ev's.

anyway.. so yeah.. I'm using these are a size comparison. I don't mind the size, but they are low.. I don't listen to music sitting down much.

I'll let ya know what I settle on.

Maxell tape guy [message #35402 is a reply to message #35394] Sat, 09 March 2002 21:46 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I find that the height of the Theater Series four π Speakers is really great for listeners seated at least a couple feet away. Any closer than that, and you're sitting in the floor. But if you're that close, your hair blows back like the Maxell tape guy anyway.

Previous Topic: Question on throat size (ref "Loudspeakers for Musicians")
Next Topic: Cabinet bracing and other exciting information
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 09:01:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout