Home » Audio » General » Trends TA-10.1 Amps at LSAF
Trends TA-10.1 Amps at LSAF [message #4226] Sun, 22 April 2007 10:16 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Trends TA-10.1 class T amp was the winner of the integrated amp class in the Stereomojo "Great Digital Amp Shootout 2007".
http://www.stereomojo.com/SHOOTOUT2007INTEGRATEDS.htm

Brad Baker will be using a Trends TA-10.1 Class T amp in his Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris open baffle speaker room, and I'll have one in the AudioRoundTable Group Build room. Mike Wyatt of AudioMagus, US distributor for Trends products, is also sending me a fully modded Michael Mardis Signature Edition of the amp to exhibit.

So anybody who has read all the recent internet hype about this little amp, and is curious about its sound, will be able to hear it at the Lone Star Audio Fest in its stock and fully modded forms. Just two more reasons to be there.

Sounds like a lot of good stuff will be there Fred! [message #4229 is a reply to message #4226] Sun, 22 April 2007 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
This will be fun!
-akhilesh

Re: Trends TA-10.1 Amps at LSAF [message #4230 is a reply to message #4226] Mon, 23 April 2007 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
That would actually be my main and number reason why I go. I have heard so much hype about this amp that I want to find out for myself if it's all it's cracked up to be.

Re: Sounds like a lot of good stuff will be there Fred! [message #4231 is a reply to message #4229] Mon, 23 April 2007 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
Maybe we could get a kegg or something and drink out in the back with a barbaque. That would make it even more fun, if i may say so myself.

Re: Sounds like a lot of good stuff will be there Fred! [message #4239 is a reply to message #4231] Mon, 23 April 2007 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Can't do that at the hotel, but there's a small fridge in each room, and for the last two fests I showed up with a case of Shiner and went home without any beer:) Also, it's a small enough show that all the exhibitors can go out to eat together at a moderately priced restaurant Saturday nite, and we invite any show visitors who want to join us.

Re: Trends TA-10.1 Amps at LSAF [message #4240 is a reply to message #4230] Mon, 23 April 2007 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It is all it's cracked up to be within the limitations described by the Stereomojo publisher. Accurate tonality, convincing soundstage, good space between the instruments, etc. It's easy to listen to and a great sounding amp as long as it's played within its power limitations, but if you don't have very high efficiency speakers it won't have the dymamic range we all expect from a high end system. It will play about as loud as an eight watt 300B SET amp, and its distortion pattern is similar - it doesn't suddenly clip like most solid state amps, but it does begin to sound congested when you push it too hard. And it has no remote, one set of inputs, speaker terminals so close together that banana plugs are almost a requirement, and it's so light that heavy speaker cables will cause the front end to rise. Definitely not the amp audiosnobs will be buying to impress their audiosnob friends.

Re: Trends TA-10.1 Amps at LSAF [message #4242 is a reply to message #4226] Tue, 24 April 2007 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
I have read the buzz too. So I bought one of the amps. Very sensitive to grounding. I'd say it is a nice amp, but not an outstanding amp. For the price it is excellent, but you can sure tell when you push it too hard that you're pushing SS not tubes!

Re: Trends TA-10.1 Amps at LSAF [message #4256 is a reply to message #4242] Sun, 29 April 2007 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Maybe it has better synergy in my room and system, but I would describe it's sound as outstanding, at least as long as you don't overdrive it. I've been alternating between the TA-10.1, a pair of Monarchy class A amps with a Goldpoint attenuator for volume control, and a NAD 320BEE integrated. I prefer the sound of the Trends. It's brighter and livelier, but with none of the harshness and edgy sound I usually associate with inexpensive SS amps. The soundstage is excellent. I'll be interested in hearing other peoples' reactions at the LSAF.

Re: Trends TA-10.1 Amps at LSAF [message #4257 is a reply to message #4256] Mon, 30 April 2007 04:43 Go to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
I agree that it has a lot going for it and it's a great amp. In my system I'm comparing it to a number of SE tube designs and in that league, I'm preferring the tube stuff. The current champ is a 45 parafeed amp that uses nickle in the output transformers and a number of other fun tricks, like direct coupling between stages. FWIW, not only do I have the Trends, but I recently bought a Charlize amp and I have a "Gain Clone" amp. I'd like to do a shoot out at some point and compare them all. I've not heard the Charlize yet, but of the other two, the Trends easily tops the Gain Clone.

Previous Topic: Imus
Next Topic: Hawthorne Silver Iris Speakers at LSAF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 03:09:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout