Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Beginner seeks help with “the usual question”
Beginner seeks help with “the usual question” [message #34832] Mon, 21 January 2002 19:08 Go to next message
Tim Buchanan is currently offline  Tim Buchanan
Esquire
Hi ya,

A long time ago I bought some peerless 10” drivers with a view to making a cheap system that would have a good, low-end response. The drivers I bought are the 831727’s (260 SWR). I now have the time to start building the cabinets but don’t know what volume and port measurements to use!

The data sheet for the driver can be found here: http://www.d-s-t.com/peerless/data/831727.htm

I got a some e-mails from E. Francy that were a great help, but I accidentally deleted them when I cleared out my back log of e-mails (sorry Eric)! I think he suggested a box size of about 60 litres (2.1 ft^3).

Is this a good box size for a ported enclosure using this driver? I’ve purchased 66ml (2.6 inch) un-flared ports, how long should these ports be to give a flat but decent low-end response? I could use 100ml ports to be sure to avoid excess port noise, but the cabinets I have in mind aren’t too deep and I thought 66ml was a trade off. Will port noise be an issue?

To recap, what box and port measurements would work well for a flat, low-end response and will 66ml ports be too small vis-à-vis port noise?

Thanks for your time. If you have any advice please feel free to contact me!

Cheers,

Tim

Re: Beginner seeks help with “the usual question” [message #34835 is a reply to message #34832] Tue, 22 January 2002 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You've come to the right place!

I suggest three things:

1. Peruse this forum to read general information about speaker building, bracing, tuning, crossovers and bass reflex cabinets in general.

2. Get a copy of the PiAlign distribution, which includes software and some informative documents. You'll need to unarchive the distribution contents using PkUnzip or WinZip and then I suggest you read the PiAlign.doc and readme.txt files that are included in the archive.

3. Get a copy of Carlson's BoxPlot and use it to verify PiAlign suggestions and also to design speakers having other alignments.

Re: Beginner seeks help with “the usual question” [message #34836 is a reply to message #34835] Tue, 22 January 2002 02:48 Go to previous message
Tim Buchanan is currently offline  Tim Buchanan
Esquire
Thanks Wayne, I'm (slowly) reading through the .doc now! It's a wealth of invaluable information! Greatly apreciated. I'm yet to take a good look at the programs (on borrowed time right now), but they too look extremely prommising.

Thanks a lot for the tips, these programs and info will help me out a great deal.

Cheers

Tim

Previous Topic: Re: All American
Next Topic: Four Pi Bass Reflex Driver mix of JBL HF motor & Delta 15 Pro
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:48:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers