Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 1st-timer w/ 4 Pi Questions (kinda long)
1st-timer w/ 4 Pi Questions (kinda long) [message #34738] Mon, 14 January 2002 14:47 Go to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
Well, I've been reading about PI speakers for about a month now, and I've decided to take the plunge. The first thing is that I'm pretty sure I want to go with the 4 PIs. I really want that last bottom octave without the subwoofer, and I like the thought of having the option to someday try SETs. I'm interested in building a tube amp to go with the PIs. Any ideas on how good these options might sound with the 4 PIs in a 22 x 13ft room: 40 watts from EL-34, 50 watts from KT-88, 3.5 watts (SET) from 2A3. I really don't want to spend any more than $800 on pre and power. Anyone have any suggestions?

Wayne, would you have any specific suggestions for me. I want to feel "immersed" in sound. I want good presence and soundstaging. I want decent clarity, though I don't think I can spring for the "pro" stuff. Is this too much to ask? I mostly listen to rock and jazz, but I also do not want to feel disappointed on the occasions that I might play some bass-heavy electronica. Thanks in advance. From what I've read you seem to be a real class-act.

Kevin

Re: 1st-timer w/ 4 Pi Questions (kinda long) [message #34739 is a reply to message #34738] Mon, 14 January 2002 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gsoneill is currently offline  gsoneill
Esquire
i'm kinda in a similar situation except that i have already built my set tube pre-amp and amps. i went with the bottlehead foreplay and a pair of paramour mono amps--for the money, i don't think you can find a better deal.

i am currently using a set of highly sensitive speakers specifically manufactured for set tube arrangements and really love everyhthing about them except that they are a little light on the lower end--I prefer more bass than they will provide. i don't really want a subwoofer (just cause, no real reason) so i have ended up about where you are--theater fours or thermionic fours. size is kind of an issure so i am leaning toward the theatre fours but i don't really want to take the plunge until i can be sure that that all important bass is present.

as for the set tube stuff (2a3's in my case) you won't believe how much "clearer" it sounds than ss stuff. and, i really can't say enough about the bottlehead product---they have a a great forum much like this.

anyway, good luck with whatever you decide--i am a total newbie that had never touched a soldering iron before so go for it!

Go Bottlehead! [message #34742 is a reply to message #34738] Mon, 14 January 2002 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi Trancemitr,

Till E. and I are both playing around with the Theater 4 Pi's and Paramour 2a3's and Foreplay preamps from Bottlehead. Till's are complete and he's listening but also messing around with other stuff so his definitive review of the combination is forthcoming. His preliminary findings are quite positive. My 4 Pi's and Paramours are under construction but the Foreplay is a killer especially for the $200 I have in it! The Paramours are also a steal! and I agree with gsoneill that the Bottlehead Forum is a wonderful assett to the DIY hobby. Good Luck with what you end up doing!

Garland

Re: Go Bottlehead! [message #34744 is a reply to message #34742] Mon, 14 January 2002 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Garland, any idea of Till E's impressions of the dynamics with this combo? Bass extension? Any idea how big his listening room is, or if he feels that little bit of power is enough? I was thinking that with the size of my room I'd need the 300Bs, which I can't afford. Maybe I should be asking Till E these questions...
Re: 1st-timer w/ 4 Pi Questions (kinda long) [message #34745 is a reply to message #34739] Mon, 14 January 2002 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks for the input. I've looked at the Bottlehead stuff a while too. Appears to be a pretty sweet deal. I've got no problem soldering as long as I've got good instructions. The scary part is that I'll be building my first amp, pre, and speakers all at the same time. But who doesn't like a challenge?
Re: Go Bottlehead! [message #34746 is a reply to message #34744] Mon, 14 January 2002 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
believe me, 100dbs @ 1watt is incredibly loud...even for the biggest rooms. the 2a3's will be plenty in the correct configuration.
"I am not a role model" - C. Barkley [message #34747 is a reply to message #34738] Mon, 14 January 2002 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Neither am I.
And free advice....
But I will venture that your first instinct is a good one. Pick up an used amp and concentrate building efforts on the 4 Pi's. I highly recommend the Music Reference RM-10, 30 PP El-84 watts that has the lowest noise of any amp I know. Essential for high efficiency.There's always one available on Audiogon and you can get in and out of one anytime for $6 to $650. Then put a $25 noble or some other volume pot between source and amp.
I really love the Foreplay-Paramour combination. The sound in some ways is magical with the Pi's. But then the Pi's by themselves are a whole new world of sound you have to hear for yourself.Even with my solid waste A/V receiver, the you are there quality of the sound and the way ideas like image, reflection points, speed, lean, etc become superfluous, even meaningless.
The Bottlehead experience is a path you take; the equipment is somewhat cantankerous and requires that it become a hobby unto itself. Whether there is hum to be rid of or not, you will be drawn into the tweaking which will lead you other places in DIY audio.
It's the perfect drug for me. You have to decide if it's for you.
Now all I have to do is build the Pro cabinets, finish my experiments with Radio Shack 26ga. magnet wire and install the snubbers in the Foreplay and Paramours. Oh yeah, I have to build new bases for the Paramours too.
Then the review. But who cares what I think. Just Do it!
Re: 1st-timer w/ 4 Pi Questions (kinda long) [message #34748 is a reply to message #34745] Mon, 14 January 2002 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
the instructions that come with the bottlehead kits are very, very detailed and easy to follow. the paramours were amazingily simple and the foreplay, althought quite a bit more challenging, also had very detailed instructions. in addition, i really can't say enough about the forum--quest, voltsecond, and doc. b(and many others) always seem to be able to help.
SET's and four π speakers [message #34750 is a reply to message #34739] Mon, 14 January 2002 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

...a magical combination!
Re: Go Bottlehead! [message #34751 is a reply to message #34744] Mon, 14 January 2002 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ok. My room is 12X28 and the 2A3 Paramours take the Pi's louder than I can listen. I've tried cutting off the Pi's at 40hz and used a really deep sub and preferred the Pi's alone. It's not just that they go deep and have dynamics you'll never hear on Kestrels or Paradigms or Magnepans, etc but the one thing that really knocks me out is hearing, for the first time after many playings, the tuba distinctly along with the trombones, not just a brass section on the Janacek Sinfonietta. So include low distortion on the bottom, with Eminence Delta among the strengths.

Still wondering about the mids. Possibly I'm still captive of the audiophile sickness and part of the reason I need to build the Pro's.This week I will finally add the woofer RC network, AB the Mapleshade and RS magnet wire cables and make the long awaited pronouncement (Garland, how did you ever set me up as some kind of authority, are you kidding, I'm waiting to hear from you!)

Previous Topic: Question for Wayne
Next Topic: Impedance question for the smart guys
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:22:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout