Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » initial thoughts on my ten pi's...
initial thoughts on my ten pi's... [message #34732] Sun, 13 January 2002 15:48 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, my friend and I work for seven straight hours today *partially* assembling just *one* of my four theatre 10 pi's.

I finally have the entire enclosure screwed together (once I find any errors and such it will be reassembled with full bracing and plenty of glue).

The thing is absolutely monsterous. It's just huge. I clearly underestimated the size of such a speaker, but as long as it sounds good I'm not too worried. They also way soooo much... there's nearly a sheet and a half of MDF in each box, plus woofer and compression driver plus other bracing when finished.

Firstly, I'm really concerned about excursion. The smaller box and lower tuning has actually resulted in what seems to be less power handling then the conventional bass reflex boxes that I've built for these woofers before. With only 120 or so watts applied the woofer was moving quite a bit. It could be an error in the box volume or tuning but I'm not sure. I had to displace about a half a cubic foot of volume from the design using some books because the HF horn isn't in place yet. Also, I had to move the port out of the box somewhat because it was too long to properly fit. The system sounds kind of chesty and the lower mids seem to resonate all over the place.

However, having said that I'm not sure if it's valid. There is no bracing in the box and there are a lot of vibrations. The two reflectors of the horn are resonating like mad and probably hurting the system by muddy'ing up response. There is as of yet no crossover on the woofer, so any response peaks above the crossover point are coming through loud and clear. There's also no high frequency, which is surely putting emphasis on the short comings of the system. There's no padding or stuffing in the box to even up frequency response and dissipate some of the midrange from the woofer. The internal box volume is probably incorrect. To boot, my listening room is the worst ever, with stupid rattling paneling and a suspended ceiling. These puppies belong in huge rooms or wide open spaces.

My *primary* concern right now is the excursion. There is no way this woofer will handle even close to 400 watts at present excursion, which is dissapointing because in 5 cubes tuned to 40 Hz it will. This is my main worry right now and the only thing that can't be explained. I'm hoping wayne can put my mind to ease about this.

Anyway I shall post a picture in about a half hour!!!

Any input from anybody?

Thanks. Hopefully I'll hear from you Wayne.

Adam

pic [message #34733 is a reply to message #34732] Sun, 13 January 2002 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
bad picture, but oh well... I'll get some better ones when they're finished.

Adam

Ten π assembly - Bracing and foam filler [message #34734 is a reply to message #34733] Sun, 13 January 2002 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
There is no way to really "test run" a ten π speaker before the expansion foam is installed. Bracing and filling with expansion foam are esential. There are lots of large panels in this system, and they simply must have adequate bracing or the speakers sound terrible. Some previous threads that discuss proper bracing include "Bracing", "ten Pi injection foam - VERY IMPORTANT" and "Bracing: expansion foam".
Don't even think about it [message #34735 is a reply to message #34732] Mon, 14 January 2002 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
How I would love to have 10 pi's in the living room, but I'd have to sit outside...
Anyway, until the boxes are braced and stuffed and the tweaks done (like adding the top end (!)) don't even think about listening to them except to check for buzzes, leaks, broken drivers etc. The sound is just WAY too different, besides the fact that the woofer may not be adequately controlled for its own safety.
I know Wayne went into this with the detail of authority, but I offer this as the experience of an amateur who has learned the hard way. Plywood's not too bad, but particle board just doesn't burn well, and all of them take too much work to fit them into the stove.
Regards,
John
Re: Ten π assembly - Bracing and foam filler [message #34736 is a reply to message #34734] Mon, 14 January 2002 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the response Wayne, makes me feel better about the whole setup.

I should tell you exactly what I did... PIALIGN recommended an overall horn size to me that was within an inch or two of 24"x24"x48", I just fudged the numbers a bit to fit that which is fine. Pi Align *also* recommended a 2.2 cuft ported chamber which it said was like 10"x17"x23" or something like that. Now, when I apply the 24"x24"x48" recommended horn size into the ratios in the plan, the result is a ported enclosure that is 8" deep, 16" high and 24" wide, which is *different* then what PIALIGN gives me. This chamber is only 1.77 cuft in internal volume. After factoring in about 0.4 cubes of displacement for the woofer, 0.4 cubes for the horn lense and compression driver plus a bit of extra for bracing and port, the result is a 0.77 cuft enclosure for the woofer, which is wayyyy too small! The only thing the top chamber does is compensate for these two descrepancies by adding an additional 1.4 cuft of box volume, to bring things up to the desired 2.2.

I currently have about a .5 cuft of old books inside the box to displace the volume that the compression driver lense would normally take up. Unless I made a signifigant design error, the overall horn size that PIALIGN gave me is correct as is the internal box volume and tuning. It's actually more correct then if I had made the entire design bigger (increase box volume without the extension and thereby increase the proportions of the bass horn).

Anyway, I'm not a bit surprised about the other things and I'm glad they'll be cleared up. Right now I can't afford all that hardening foam, so I am going to attempt to use some conventional bracing on the two reflector panels... But I doubt it'll work. If it would, I suppose you would have done it that way! :)

Anyway that's the story on the enclosure volume, I hope you can provide some input. I know I didn't mention the descrepancy between what PIALIGN told me and what the ratio plan was telling me, but I felt I had asked enough questions of you for the time being and didn't want to be a bother.

Thanks!

Adam

Re: Ten π assembly - Bracing and foam filler [message #34737 is a reply to message #34736] Mon, 14 January 2002 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Do you mean the "Pi Alignment Theory" whitepaper? It is the only document I publish that has loudspeaker dimensions expressed as a series of ratios. All of the completed ten π plans have what is essentially a four π motor cabinet, and all displacements have been offset. So I can't think of any document I might have sent that has dimensions other than those. Are you talking about dimensions that the PiAlign program gives?
Re: Ten π assembly - Bracing and foam filler [message #34740 is a reply to message #34737] Mon, 14 January 2002 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You sent me a text document called "PIALIGN" which includes a large essay on pi speakers and plans for the normal bass reflex boxes and corner horns using measurements based on x,y and z ratios. You've said the ten pi was essentially a scoop flair added to the normal reflex box so that's what I did, scaling the units to fit as needed. I included wood thickness and driver volume offsets when calculating box size. That's what confused me because it didn't match what I expected it was much smaller. That's why I fudged it some.

Adam

Re: initial thoughts on my ten pi's... [message #34743 is a reply to message #34732] Mon, 14 January 2002 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
BTW Adam, my Behringer x-over has mute buttons for each driver/frequency range; my system is set up correctly, and I am using JBL drivers; if I mute the mid/highs and listen to just the woofers, it sounds wierd; I could easily draw the conclusion that the woofers are doing bad things.....I agree with the other post that you should not draw any conclusions without the highs present, and before the project is correctly completed. On my system, with just the woofs playing, muddy seems to be the operative word, but it's just the perception without the full range reproduced.. Hang in there and complete the project as closely to the design parameters as you can.
Re: Ten π assembly - Bracing and foam filler [message #34749 is a reply to message #34740] Mon, 14 January 2002 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
In the PiAlign program, there is a section at the far right of the screen that allows you to enter displacement volumes. There is also a little utility program called "Volume.exe" in the distribution archive that helps you calculate offset volumes. You can approximate the volume of drivers and other parts inside the cabinet using composites of primitives. For a full description of this process, please see the earlier post called "Displacement calculations (or measurements)".
Re: Ten π assembly - Bracing and foam filler [message #34752 is a reply to message #34736] Mon, 14 January 2002 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I haven't verified this for myself but I heard from an associate that the foam filler, not sure whether DAP or Great Stuff is available in a contractor size, not just those little aerosol cans. Much more affordable says my source. Check Depot or Lowes or DAP online.
Previous Topic: Impedance question for the smart guys
Next Topic: Rear ports for PA speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:31:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout