Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Making the most of these drivers
Making the most of these drivers [message #34377] Sun, 09 December 2001 22:26 Go to next message
Mike  Borzcik is currently offline  Mike Borzcik
Esquire
Hi all,

One of my friends recently bought two Pyle Pro 18" woofers to build a sub, and I'd like to recommend that he use some sort of Pi implementation. His primary goal is maximum low end extension, followed by low distortion. Cabinet size is not an issue; in fact, anything smaller than a refrigerator might look too wimpy. :-) I'm guessing that a folded horn would be the best way to go, right? If he does that, is it possible for him to use both woofers in an isobaric configuration, or would he have to build two cabinets? I've kinda figured out how to use PiAlign and BoxPlot for bass reflex speakers, but I'm pretty clueless about using them to design folded horns, especially if I want to tune the sub lower than PiAlign recommends. Any tips? Here are the specs for the woofers:

Frequency range: 40-4,000 Hz * Magnet weight: 125 oz. * Fs: 27.4 Hz * SPL: 96.7 dB 1W/1m * Vas: 14.9 cu. ft. * Qms: 5.59 * Qes: .30 * Qts: .28 * Xmax: 5.5 mm

Thanks a bunch!
Mike Borzcik

Re: Making the most of these drivers [message #34380 is a reply to message #34377] Mon, 10 December 2001 14:23 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those woofers work well in cabinets from 4 cubic feet to 10 cubic feet, tuned to 30-40Hz. PiAlign suggests 4.2 cubic feet tuned to 37Hz. That's how I'd tune the box if they were to be used as woofers in a full-range speaker. For subs, I'd probably tend towards larger boxes tuned lower, say 8-10 cubic feet tuned to 35Hz or so.
Previous Topic: That darn bright/soft piezo switch !! (to Wayne)
Next Topic: Upgrading Eminence Crossover- Question for Wayne
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:02:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout