Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » DECISION TIME AGAIN - Theatre Three or Modified Theatre Four?
DECISION TIME AGAIN - Theatre Three or Modified Theatre Four? [message #34224] Mon, 19 November 2001 18:28 Go to next message
Colin Fritzke is currently offline  Colin Fritzke
Baron
Guys,

I'm really stuck here again. I haven't yet ordered my Eminence drivers, crossover, or horn flare yet, just some of the additional crossover mod components from Parts Express. As some of you have seen, I posted a request for an actual FR plot of the Kappa 15LFA driver yesterday, and I managed to get one direct from someone who works at Eminence (Ain't the 'net wonderful?). I posted it in another thread below for all to see, and as you can see, it has a nasty peak at 1.7K and 2.0K. I'm no expert, but I really can't see how I can just simply take Wayne's stock Theatre Four Pi crossover and apply it to this driver.

I guess I'm just starting to wonder.... should I mess with a proven design by substituting a driver or go with a proven design. Right now, for me its between the Theater Four Pi using the Kappa 15LFA (because it yeilds decent bass extension in a cabinet under 4 cubic feet), or the Theater Three Pi which has better bass extension in the same cabinet at the cost of a few dB of efficiency and I'd need to change the value of R1 in my crossover.

ARRRGH! What to do?? Who has built the Theater Three Pi? Wayne, will my idea for a Theater Four Pi w/ Kappa 15LFA work, or should I just revert to one of your other designs?

Colin

Re: DECISION TIME AGAIN - Theatre Three or Modified Theatre Four? [message #34225 is a reply to message #34224] Mon, 19 November 2001 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Personally, I'd go with the Theater three π speakers w/o any mods. I think you'll like them best. It's a proven design that really sounds nice.

Re: DECISION TIME AGAIN - Theatre Three or Modified Theatre Four? [message #34231 is a reply to message #34225] Tue, 20 November 2001 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks for your replay, Wayne!

So you think that I should go with your proven Theater Three Pi design as opposed to a modified Theater Four Pi? How about a Stage Four Pi? I'm really not wanting an "entry level speaker"... this is going to be the last pair of speakers I build for a LONG time.

Colin

Re: DECISION TIME AGAIN - Theatre Three or Modified Theatre Four? [message #34232 is a reply to message #34231] Tue, 20 November 2001 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Well, sure, a Stage four π is a better speaker. Better still, you could go with a Pro four π. I suggested the Theater three π because it is one of the two options you said you were considering.
just my 2 cent opinion [message #34234 is a reply to message #34232] Tue, 20 November 2001 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
just put in the new train cd, excuse me while i "air guitar".

wayne, these speakers rock!!!!!

cheers,

george

George, let's talk.... [message #34235 is a reply to message #34234] Tue, 20 November 2001 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
... about whether or not your distributor still can get the Kilomax 15's for that sweet price! Seriously, I'm starting to think that if I'm gonna build Pi's, that I should follow your lead and go all the way. Please E-mail me specifics, if you can.

Colin

Re: George, let's talk.... [message #34236 is a reply to message #34235] Tue, 20 November 2001 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi colin, i'll check first thing in the morning and let you know! a personal friend of mine is also the cardas distributor in canada. let me know if your interested in using their products. send me your address and i'll mail you a catalog.

cheers,

geroge

Re: DECISION TIME AGAIN - Theatre Three or Modified Theatre Four? [message #34237 is a reply to message #34232] Tue, 20 November 2001 19:22 Go to previous message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
I agree --Go with the Theater 3's
Steve
Previous Topic: Wayne, could you please send me Theater 4 plans! <nt>
Next Topic: Pi Speaker Forum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:00:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio