Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Electronic crossover's any thoughts?
Electronic crossover's any thoughts? [message #34117] Thu, 01 November 2001 15:28 Go to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
Hi All,

Wondering what anyone thinks of electronic crossover's instead of the standard coils, caps and res.
maybe if the sound quality isnt as good, would they be good to dial in a speaker and then use the comparable components.

thanks,

bmar

Re: Electronic crossover's any thoughts? [message #34118 is a reply to message #34117] Thu, 01 November 2001 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The biggest advantage to multi-amping is the bandwidth reduction you get. When you don't have HF riding on top of LF, you gain some dynamic range in the amps. As an example, if you have 40v peak bass content and 15v peak treble, then the amplifier must be capable of 65v output. That's because the LF modulates the HF, literally having HF signals riding on top of LF signals. If you separate the two, then you could only need a bass amp capable of handling 40 volts and a treble amp capable of doing 15 volts to reproduce the same signal.

If you have a digital crossover, you can easily modify crossover characteristics with a simple programming change. That's nice for hobbyists that modify speakers a lot. Analog crossovers can be changed too, but that requires a component change, or sometimes a jumper change. Analog crossovers aren't usually as versatile because changing filter characteristics requires component changes. But in either case, don't underestimate the value of a good crossover. Designing proper filter characteristics for matching loudspeaker subsystems is not a trivial matter. Summing through the overlapping band is affected by electrical, mechanical and acoustic properties and getting it all correct takes a lot of work, particularly when considering directivity for best on and off axis response. That's important because the total reverberent field is what you hear, and that includes off-axis energy as well as on axis response.

Re: Electronic crossover's any thoughts? [message #34119 is a reply to message #34118] Thu, 01 November 2001 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the info.

Although bi amp would be nice I only have one rite now. some of the other post sound like you have to bi amp with active xo.
I was thinking you run your amp in and direct wire the motors to their respective range coming out of the active xo.
the 600v 10uF cap for protection of the royal eminence is cool.

I have been looking at the pro audio stuff ashly, peavey, behringer(?)
many other good ones out there. Basically everyone wants the speakers to be flat. but everyones room is different and the perfect speaker placement isnt alway the best place to have it!

My general thought was with the pro audio crossovers. you can compensate driver SPL, change xo points to flaten or colour the sound to your liking with the twist of a few nobs. Dont get me wrong, as a traditionalist I dont mind the thought of having a few pounds of magnet wire, boxes of coils and caps to play with. (heck, I manufacture silver wire and was thinking of winding some hightest coils)

The active rout just seems like it might be an easy place to start off at.

thanks,

Bill

Re: Electronic crossover's any thoughts? [message #34120 is a reply to message #34117] Thu, 01 November 2001 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alfredo is currently offline  alfredo
Chancellor
Hi bmar. I like the use of electronic crossovers which I will be moving towards rather soon. Especially if your always tinkering with different speakers. Like you said they allow you to "dial" in the crossover frequency you need or at least think you need. Good passive crossover parts can cost a lot of money to build for a set of speakers. What if you guess on frequency and then realize you could have went lower or needed to go higher? Then you have to buy all new parts. With the electronic crossover you wouldn't have to do that. Just turn the dials!

Alfredo

Re: Electronic crossover's any thoughts? [message #34121 is a reply to message #34119] Thu, 01 November 2001 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If you want a crossover that gives a lot of flexibility, go with a digital crossover. Of course, analog purists would prefer a good analog unit. I think the best thing to do is to start with a digital crossover, use it for prototyping, and then implement an analog crossover of the final design.
Re: Electronic crossover's any thoughts? [message #34122 is a reply to message #34120] Thu, 01 November 2001 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thanks Alfredo,

where can i find the specs for the CS 3115 ?
having trouble locating them @jbl

thanks,

Bill

Re: Electronic crossover's any thoughts? [message #34123 is a reply to message #34122] Thu, 01 November 2001 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alfredo is currently offline  alfredo
Chancellor
When you go to jblpro.com click on products and then installed products. You will see a link that says the Venus Series. The CS 3115 is the same as the VS 3115. From what I read on the Lansing Heritage site the CS stands for Custom Shop(CS). I guess somebody called JBL and asked about them. Some theatre ordered them and never paid for them. You get the enclosure and all of the speakers but the enclosure is only sprayed with flat black and there is no grill. If you go to the forum on the lansingheritage site there are some more discussions about this speaker and about the JBL Tent Sale. Great bargain I think.

CS3115
Lansing Heritage

Alfredo Abate

Re: Electronic crossover's any thoughts? [message #34124 is a reply to message #34123] Thu, 01 November 2001 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
ok thanks!

i'm trying to see what the difference between the CS3115 and the CS3115B is.

this is a good deal for some nice Pi parts :)

Re: Electronic crossover's any thoughts? [message #34127 is a reply to message #34124] Fri, 02 November 2001 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pickle is currently offline  pickle
Chancellor
B is "B stock" according to my call to JBL; I'd probably just order the others.........
MBB
Re: Electronic crossover's any thoughts? [message #34130 is a reply to message #34121] Tue, 06 November 2001 11:52 Go to previous message
newjerseybt is currently offline  newjerseybt
Chancellor
I used to be an Workers' Comp adjuster and have seen many hearing
charts which are deemed to be normal by ENT (Ear Nose and throat)
experts but look quite different from one normal individual to
another. Many charts differ by + or - 3db and greater throughout
the range tested. Note that W/C ENT doctors do not test the entire
spectrum from 20HZ to 20k, but you still get my drift.

That is why I have to question the "golden ears" who worry about
teeny tiny details like capacitive reactance in speaker wire.
We are talking pf per ft.!! Even a dog's ear would not be able to
hear the difference between 20 feet of high-end speaker wire
and 12gauge lamp cord.

Previous Topic: Eminence Magnum
Next Topic: Cornerhorns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 05:49:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio