Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pictures of my Thermionic four Pi's
Pictures of my Thermionic four Pi's [message #33985] Mon, 01 October 2001 14:00 Go to next message
Mike Borzcik is currently offline  Mike Borzcik
Chancellor
Here are some pictures of my Thermionic four Pi's. Sorry about the poor image quality, but at least you can sort of tell what they look like. The second picture is the crossover--the components are mounted directly to the inside of the rear panel using PL400 subfloor adhesive. Total cost for the speakers was a little over $500 for the pair, including about 50 pounds of metal hardware for aesthetic purposes. My friend managed to get me all the 1" MDF for free from a scrap box, so I probably could have build a bare-bones pair of four Pi's for less than $400, but I decided to use the money I saved to make them look really sexy. :-)

Let me know if you have any questions about how I built them, the components I used, or how the heck I managed to get the beasts into a dorm room. :-)

Mike Borzcik

Re: Pictures of my Thermionic four Pi's [message #33986 is a reply to message #33985] Mon, 01 October 2001 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi mike, i like the industrial look, good job. Did you front mount the drivers? what brand of components did you use for the x-over?

Most importantly, how do they sound? i'm glad your into tubes, which amp are you using?

cheers,
george

Re: Pictures of my Thermionic four Pi's [message #33987 is a reply to message #33986] Mon, 01 October 2001 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Borzcik is currently offline  Mike Borzcik
Chancellor
For the crossovers I used Solen capacitors with a Hovland Auricap in the compensation network, Mills non-inductive resistors, and whatever inductors Parts Express sells. The drivers are front-mounted.

These speakers sound awesome. I was expecting to give up some detail and neutrality when I gave up my Magnepans. This is not the case at all. My four Pi's actually sound a lot like the Maggies, but with much better dynamics and more bass. My amp is a Jolida 302A, modified to run in triode mode. It puts out about 25 watts with the modification, but that's enough to make things shake. A couple weeks ago the girl who lives directly above me came down and asked me to turn down the music because it was literally shaking her desk. So these speakers are excellent for both critical listening and for high SPL's. Plus I have the honor of being known as "The Guy With the Really Big Speakers." :-)

Mike Borzcik

PS- Has anyone heard the four Pi's with a Decware Zen amp? I'm thinking of buying one of their kits and am interested in hearing how they work with Pi speakers.

Super cool! [message #33988 is a reply to message #33987] Mon, 01 October 2001 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Good work!
Re: Pictures of my Thermionic four Pi's [message #33990 is a reply to message #33987] Tue, 02 October 2001 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi mike, thanks for the info. i had the decware se84c with my 7 pi's. for average volumes it's fine, but it sounded so good i always wanted to play them louder and alas the amp didn't have enough juice. maybe a pair bridged would help but then your talking a grand. there's always great deals on ebay, i'd get something else.

cheers,
george

Yes , very cool indeed! [message #33992 is a reply to message #33988] Tue, 02 October 2001 18:05 Go to previous message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
Good Job!
Previous Topic: Crossover document - third draft
Next Topic: Gamma Pi-align PA box and some other pics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 09:59:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio