Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Using Eminence Gamma 10
Using Eminence Gamma 10 [message #33838] Mon, 10 September 2001 12:01 Go to next message
STUART is currently offline  STUART
Esquire
Hi
I am trying to make the best of what seems to be a bad speaker purchase. Based on the assertion on the Eminence web page that the Gamma 10 is "suitable for all hi power bass applications including bass guitar", I chose one of these drivers to make a small cabinet for my bass amp. I can't remember the exact cabinet specs, but made it according to the recommendations of a couple of design programs. The results have been disappointing, particularly low frequency response.

Eminence seems to be a fairly significant discussion point on this board. Would any of the participants here have any suggestions or opinions on whether this speaker could be "made" to work in this application? Would using Pi Alignment make any difference vs. the typical ported design? If it helps, Vad=1.29 cu ft., Fs = 63 Hz, and Qd = 1.96.

Thanks for your help and opinions.
Stuart

...as a midbass driver or bookshelf speaker [message #33841 is a reply to message #33838] Mon, 10 September 2001 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sorry to disappoint, but you aren't going to fare any better with a PiAlign'ed cabinet if you're looking for bass extension. These should be considered 60Hz speakers. That's been my experience with Eminence 8" and 10" motors too. They're great as midbass drivers or in small bookshelf speakers. But if you're looking for 30Hz, you're going to need a bigger and/or heavier diaphram. Only relatively heavy-coned drivers generate bottom octave bass from 10" diaphrams.
Sigh!...That's what I thought [message #33843 is a reply to message #33841] Mon, 10 September 2001 15:11 Go to previous message
STUART is currently offline  STUART
Esquire
C'est la vie. I think I'll have to Plan B that speaker. Thanks for the opinion.

Stuart

Previous Topic: Source for peavey CH-3? (NT)
Next Topic: The Sawboard: a circular saw guide that works!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 03:18:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio