Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Flares for PSD2002 in Theater Four Pi.
Flares for PSD2002 in Theater Four Pi. [message #33602] Thu, 26 July 2001 08:49 Go to next message
AudioLapDance is currently offline  AudioLapDance
Baron
Hey Wayne, Paul et al.
(Paul yous is seriously askin for a bruisin!) ;-)

Well I finally sold my Klipsch RF-3s so now I have enough $$$ to go with the PSD2002 for my Four Pi!!! And after all that searching around!!! Well at least I'll have some advice for the next guy who wants to go the cheap route.

I've tried the KSN1188 with the Delta and they seem pretty close sensitivity wise. They are just on the front baffle now (not in box) but I think I've gotten a taste of what the 1188s are like. I found they had too much ssssssibilance (on say female jazz like Sara K) At high volumes (solid state) it actually hurts!
I gave them a couple days of music and white noise at moderate volume so I think they're broken in. Is the sibilance due to the 6 db peak at 8 to 10kHz? What causes this?

Anyway, I'm going with the PSD2002 now so I'd like some advice on flares. It seems to be between the CH3 and H290 although I can get the H295 and H395 too. Wayne you seem to like the exponential flares (Ch3, H290) better than the CD type (H295, H395), why is that? The Four Pis are in a 12 x 10 room and I listen to tunes at the computer (>10 degrees above), in my chair (on axis) and in bed (>10 degrees below). So I'm thinking of going with the H290 for better vertical dispersion. Good idea?

Thanks for the sage advice,
Jeff

KSN1188's [message #33603 is a reply to message #33602] Thu, 26 July 2001 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
I can take the 1188's off your hands. Give me a ring, tenorman1952@yahoo.com.
Re: Flares for PSD2002 in Theater Four Pi. [message #33604 is a reply to message #33602] Thu, 26 July 2001 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I prefer radial horns to pure CD horns. What I like is constant directivity in the horizontal plane and collapsing directivity in the vertical plane. This improves uniformity of the reverberent field because the energy distribution around the room is nearly equal while reducing floor and ceiling reflections.
KSN1188 vs PSD2002 shootout! [message #33608 is a reply to message #33603] Fri, 27 July 2001 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioLapDance is currently offline  AudioLapDance
Baron
Hey Paul and Wayne,

I'm not going to get rid of the 1188s just yet. I'll keep them for a couple of weeks and test them against the PSD2002! I now have the out-board crossovers for both so ...

"In the red corner; all the way from Eminence, Kentucky; he'll blow you're cranium with a driver made of titanium ... PSD two thousand and twoooooooo.
And in the blue corner, if power handling makes you hectic, don't worry he's piezo-electric, the great KSN eleven eighty-eeeeeeight!"

I'm just gonna place them on top of the cabs and point them at me; this should be a "fair fight" right?

Do you guys know what I'm talking about with this sibilance stuff? What causes it?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: KSN1188 vs PSD2002 shootout! [message #33609 is a reply to message #33608] Fri, 27 July 2001 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
Loved the fight announcement! Cool, funny.

The 1188 may or may not be the equal of the 2002, probably not, but a darn good unit.

Too much silibance? Turn down the darn treble! No, seriously, also try other female singers, other CD's. It may just be that CD, that mix. I have had a few that really made me doubt my equipment. And put on others, Man!, you would think the combo was in your living room! These days more and more artists are taking ocntrol of the final mix, and that is good. It is because many musicians have had offensive results from sound men who thought they knew best... mixing to sound best on car stereo, or what people expect club spkrs to sound like, etc. So, try a variety of CD's and music types.

Listen to a jazz combo, recorded "acoustically". Listen for realism there. Listen to orchestra, esp London Sym Orch, always recorded well. Star Wars is good, believe it or not... Holst's The Planets (I love Mars). Listen to the music you like best, too. Not all systems will sound good on all types of music.

Re: KSN1188 vs PSD2002 shootout! [message #33610 is a reply to message #33609] Fri, 27 July 2001 21:38 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's a good idea. Run 'em both and see which you like best. I'm sure you'll like 'em both, and in any case, you have a side by side comparison.

I think you'll agree that the PSD2002 sounds best with the compensation components R1, R2 and C1 are installed. Just for grins, remove them and see what I mean.

Previous Topic: Thanks for the kudos on the web page
Next Topic: Studio One Pi's or Two Pi's?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 16:39:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio