Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » folded horn
folded horn [message #33206] Tue, 17 April 2001 20:02 Go to next message
boblaz@yahoo.com is currently offline  boblaz@yahoo.com
Esquire
I want to build a folded horn cabinet since I do not have useable corners in my room for the corner horns.
Size in and of itself is not a problem. I want extended low frequency response and smooth mid/highs. I already own and use Klipsch LaScalas.

Recomendations please.

Re: folded horn [message #33209 is a reply to message #33206] Tue, 17 April 2001 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Check your mail. If size really isn't a concern, I think you'll love the Pi folded basshorn. If it's too big, check back with me and we'll look at something else.
Re: folded horn [message #33216 is a reply to message #33206] Thu, 19 April 2001 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
str8aro is currently offline  str8aro
Chancellor
If size isn't a problem, build a real horn! However, I doubt this is really the case...

John

Re: folded horn [message #33219 is a reply to message #33216] Thu, 19 April 2001 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's true, there's no replacement for displacement. This is more true for basshorns than anything else. If they're not big enough, they get peaky. I'd rather have a good bass-reflex system than an undersized peaky basshorn. But when properly made, the basshorn rules. You just have to be able to make 'em big. Hoffman's Iron Law says there's no free lunch. Extension, efficiency or compact size, take any two.
Re: folded horn [message #33220 is a reply to message #33219] Thu, 19 April 2001 17:34 Go to previous message
str8aro is currently offline  str8aro
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

Of course if you have the room, the horns are better than vented boxes. Since the horn is more effiecent and requires less diaphragm motion, you get less distortion from suspension non-linearities and voice coil heating. But it's still big... Actually, though, my current horn design is only about 48 cubic feet and it'll theoretically do 135dB + on only 500watts. At that level, the cone would be moving 1.1mm.... :> Not sure how that compares size wise to vented boxes, but since I'm only after the low distortion and high dynamics, well, it doesn't particularly matter...

I'm hoping to complete construction in the three months of summer. Definitely not full time, though. Just weekends and free time. I don't think it will be too hard... One side of the horn is flat, the two curved sides will be kerfed plywood laminated together, and the other side, well, it will be interesting, but I don't think it will be too bad...

John

Previous Topic: Is the Pi Seven with a JBL 2226 recommended for use with a SETA?
Next Topic: Can one upgrade bass drivers at a later date?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:59:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio