Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater Three Pi vs. Klipsch Heresey II (long)
Theater Three Pi vs. Klipsch Heresey II (long) [message #33178] Mon, 09 April 2001 16:36 Go to next message
colinfritzke is currently offline  colinfritzke
Esquire
Hi Wayne (and who ever else cares to comment),

I'm quickly approaching decision time on what to do here about my next set of speakers. I've been watching this board a lot lately, and was asking questions about building a set of Theater series Three Pi's, based on the Eminence 2002 and 12" Delta series woofer. My goal is for some realitively high-efficiency speakers for the living room system, to be powered by a medium power solid state integrated amp. Just like most of you, I crave the dynamic range that can only be had from medium to high-efficiency speakers. I recently auditioned some big Klipsch KLF-30's, but don't wan't to fork out the ridiculous $2000 CDN they sell for up here. I also feel the overall build quality of those speakers is pretty poor, considering their price.

Unfortunately, because I live up here in Canada, I don't get the opportunity to hook up with other DIY'ers very much and thus don't get the chance to hear many DIY speakers. I took a gamble a few years ago with Audio Concepts kits and really enjoy them in my HT. But as I have never heard any mention of Wayne's designs outside of Audio Asylum, I'm still perhaps a little hesitant about just "going for it" and spending a wad of dough on parts to build one of his designs for my living room system. I've read your white papers, Wayne, and it appears that you are quite knowledgable in this art and science of speaker design. But I haven't seen any actual measurements or real hard performance data on any of your designs, and that concerns me a little bit. Even some good old-fashioned testimonials (other than those of the corner-horns on this page) would be nice.

I know that the ears are really the only tool you need, but I guess what I'm looking for are some assurances that I won't be dissappointed dropping approximately $700 Canadian to build your Theater Three Pi's, when I can buy a brand new pair of Klipsch Heresy II's for $1300. Yes, there is a significant difference in the overall price between those two speakers, and obviously that's part of the attraction of going the DIY route. However, one must also consider the fact that buying Klipsch Heritage series speakers like the Heresy is almost like buying a Harley Davidson - they will never be hard to sell if I ever wanted to. I also don't want to mail-order stuff from the US because my Canadian dollar is sitting near an all-time low of 63 cents US. So forget about even suggesting that I buy used stuff off of E-bay... the exchange rate and the shipping would be prohibitive.

Wayne, could you provide more specifics on the crossover components used in the Theater Three Pi? Could you perhaps forward any names of satisfied customers/builders of these speakers? Subjectively speaking, can you or anyone else make any meaningful comparisons between these speakers and the Klipsch Heresy II's?

Thanks,
Colin

Re: Theater Three Pi vs. Klipsch Heresey II (long) [message #33180 is a reply to message #33178] Mon, 09 April 2001 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Smoother, cleaner, deeper

That's how I'd compare the three Pi with the Klipsch Heresy. The three Pi has overdamped response which conjugates room gain nicely. But even in free space, the -3dB point is 40Hz, compared with 60Hz on the Heresy. Further, the overdamped alignment makes a gradual smooth rolloff that provides usable output to 25Hz, being only -10dB there. This means in normal size rooms, you'll hear bass strong down to below 30Hz.

In addition, the three Pi crossover is designed to provide smooth response at all angles in its 90x40 pattern. It isn't designed to require straight-forward axis for good response. The placement of drivers on the baffle and the crossover combine to provide smooth response throughout the room. The Heresy isn't designed this way, and as a result, sound radiated off-axis has a different spectral balance than the on-axis sound. That makes a big difference in what you hear.
Re: Theater Three Pi vs. Klipsch Heresey II (long) [message #33182 is a reply to message #33180] Mon, 09 April 2001 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinfritzke is currently offline  colinfritzke
Esquire
Fair enough, I guess that's why they call it a Heresy. :-)

I'd like to believe the Pi's are that much better than Heresy's. If so, maybe I could spring for JBL parts for four Pi's instead. For the same price as Heresy's, I could get four Pi's with JBL parts!

Thanks for your timely response,
Colin

Professional Series four Pi's [message #33184 is a reply to message #33182] Tue, 10 April 2001 00:38 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Even better

The Professional Series four Pi with its JBL 2226 woofer offers improved distortion and even smoother midrange. And it's a smidge smaller then the Theater Series three Pi too.

Previous Topic: Jsalve is Pi ready yet? You were close so...
Next Topic: building 10's with a friend
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:57:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout