Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Chesky/Martin Logans
Chesky/Martin Logans [message #33144] Thu, 05 April 2001 09:58 Go to next message
artwaltz is currently offline  artwaltz
Esquire
What is a good recommendation for decent priced Martin Logans, I am entering a contest at Chesky Records, one of my favorite labels(their stuff sounds amazing), to win Prodigys but if that doesn't work out I have about 1,000$ to spend and I'm like Martin Logans. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Re: Chesky/Martin Logans [message #33147 is a reply to message #33144] Thu, 05 April 2001 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RBP is currently offline  RBP
Chancellor
Since you obvious know what you want, I would audition some and see which loudspeakers suit your taste.

Mostly this forum is about speakers with dynamics. Martin Logan designs with their relitivly low effeciency have a dynamic performance envelope adapted to those who listen to a 50 to 500 watt system in a modern living room at normal levels. The Dynamic envelope of the Martin Logans appeals to a quieter volume setting than those who would desire horn loudspeaker. They are simply less open, but balanced within a certain realum.

Contact dealers that are acessable to you for a further audition.

If you want live instrument levels (something no electrostatic loudspeaker can create due to dynamic compression and complicated electronics) the Pi speakers can give them with as little as 30 watts. To achieve live levels with electrostatics, one must have multiple units, and 10's of thousands of dollars in amplification or at least a great watt to dollar ratio. You can listen to them at a certain level satisfactory, but that is it. Just to reproduce the cabasa at the instruments' actual live level will require over 1000 watts of power...as a solo performance. Combined with complexities of the modern recording realm and the monitors studio engineers use to translate mixdown and mastering sessions, the speakers will have a limited dynamic envelope that can be achieved with the right room, the right amplification...and of course a high price range.

Makes for a fine tuned system if you have the patience, perserverence, and funding.

Re: Chesky/Martin Logans [message #33149 is a reply to message #33147] Fri, 06 April 2001 07:37 Go to previous message
Acoustic Music is currently offline  Acoustic Music
Esquire
I believe that the peak output of most Martin Logans is more than adequate for recreating acoustic instruments in a home setting. And remember that acoustic music is the only actual recreation of live MUSIC.

Now if you are talking about recreating AMPLIFIED rock and jazz, yes you will need something else to recreate the 120+ db needed to cause hearing damage. And remember that with this type of music you are reproducing the sound of amplifiers and speakers, not instruments. Live performances of this type of music also, in general, NEVER have any output in the below 35 Hz range because the speakers used at mot concerts are not capable of reproducing low frequencies.

BTW, I do enjoy the sound of well made horn loaded loudspeakers, but I also understand the limitations of different types of speaker designs, and horn loaded loudspeakers definitely have practical limitations when used in normal homes.

Previous Topic: Baffle spacing, crossovers and phase angles
Next Topic: My Pi sevens using Selenium parts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:23:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout