Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » *ping* RBP - L-200 project update
*ping* RBP - L-200 project update [message #33071] Sun, 25 March 2001 23:17 Go to next message
bean_counter is currently offline  bean_counter
Esquire
Put a pair of 4" diameter, 9" pipes in each of the cabs today (actually, more like 10"). I kept the bottom venting, as it was physically easier to implement in an afternoon, is easily reversible, and I have reservations about chopping up a vintage piece unless I have to. The venting did clean up a lot of problems, and they do go very, very deep. BUT:

They have turned into "punchless wonders". The wife described it as "wrapping them in foam rubber". I also had to pad the 2420 down quite a bit more.

Where should I go from here? Progressively shorter pipes 'til some life comes back? Thanks.

Re: *ping* RBP - L-200 project update [message #33072 is a reply to message #33071] Mon, 26 March 2001 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RBP is currently offline  RBP
Chancellor
I was a tad bit afraid of the overshoot...but that is good. Now that we have gone "Past" the optimum, now it is time to start tweaking by reducing each port 1/2" until the optimum is achieved. This can be time consuming.

Since the Port Suggestion was done "in my head", I suspect the optimum will be around 7 3/4 inch each. Try the 9" depth I suggested and watch some of the punch come back. When the Punch sounds like it equals the extreme bottom, you are vey close.

Reactance VS resistance. Right now you have too much resistance, and you need reactance. The way the ports load and unload is what you are hearing. Sure is better to go too far than not far enough. I believe you will know when the sound "locks in".

Nice thing about port trimming, you can compensate for room problems as well.

Congradulations for having the courage to undertake this, and you will find it, and it will be awesome!

Glad you are having fun with it. Tweaking will now bring vast rewards.

Re: *ping* RBP - L-200 project update [message #33074 is a reply to message #33072] Mon, 26 March 2001 12:08 Go to previous message
bean_counter is currently offline  bean_counter
Esquire
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It will take time, but I've still got 15' or so of 4" PVC pipe left from my house builing project - I saved it just for such an occaision. I'll chop up a bunch of lengths, it should make the effort a little quicker.
Previous Topic: bracing theater pi 7's
Next Topic: A Study of Effeciency
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 11:15:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout