Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Any ideas for good compromise bass guitar speaker?
Any ideas for good compromise bass guitar speaker? [message #33062] Sat, 24 March 2001 17:31 Go to next message
freddyi is currently offline  freddyi
Baron
Dear Wayne and Pi forum folks -

The higher "figure of merit" for a bass reflex usally makes it the choice over a horn for a reasonably compact bass guitar speaker. In the early 1970's there were some rock bassists using horns of compromised mouth size and path lengtb - if nothing else these little 8-12 cu.ft. horns with ~100hz mouths made a lot of noise in the upper bass to cut though the guitar and drum's din.

Small horns like La Scala, Peavey FH-1, etc exhibit a lot of distortion below their practical cutoff (this is one case where a vented back chamber may be of assistance)

For the blues/R&B I played, a 15" Karlson w. JBL D-140 had a nice solid sound - more so than reflex boxes - I actually had to cut the bass a bit on some stages.

Wayne - have you built short PI horns for bass guitar or do you find reflex more practical? Also - to the readers of this group - what have you built for bass guitar or organ use?

(my old standby is 2-2.8 cu.ft. reflexes from one sheet of birch plywood -light and can stack em)

Freddy

Re: Any ideas for good compromise bass guitar speaker? [message #33063 is a reply to message #33062] Sun, 25 March 2001 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RBP is currently offline  RBP
Chancellor
I do not like the sound of the SWR (4) 10" cabinets with the horn.

My Favorite setup for small stages, studios.

1 Cube 24/24/24" with a D130 One 4"dia 13" long port. It would satisfy.

Medium hall:

The two 15 peavy cabinet, loaded with EVM15B's

Large hall:

(4) 8 10" Ampegs...with 4 heads.

Bass reflex - Freddy's "bulk efficiency" [message #33064 is a reply to message #33062] Sun, 25 March 2001 01:50 Go to previous message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
My first cabinetmaker in the 70's and early 80's is a musician. He played for the band "Local Hero" in the 80's and 90's, becoming quite popular in the national Reggae scene.

For these guys, basshorns or tons of reflex subs were always needed. It's all about the "bulk efficiency" issue you've discussed before. These days, power is available and inexpensive. And when they have to build up and tear down for each gig, size and portability become very important considerations.

But about "small basshorns" - I don't do them. If you go undersized, then response becomes peaky and EQ is required. They're direct radiators at the lowest frequencies anyway, so that sort of makes it a mute point. Midbass horns can be made small, but good quality hornsubs just can't be shoehorned into a small package.

Previous Topic: Compensation circuits
Next Topic: Crossovers and phase shifts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 08:52:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout