Home » Audio » Group Build » The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes
The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31518] Fri, 02 December 2005 06:37 Go to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It can`t be measured successfully by ordinary capacitance meter, we must find it indirectly, finding self-resonant frequency of the inductor (scope and sig. generator, see for example "Valve amplifiers 3"-page 234). I can`t find many manufacturers data, all I can find are:

1.) On the "roehrentechnik.de" web pages, there are data for their two anode chokes:
-70H/1300 Ohms/Ce~300pF
-200H/2800 Ohms/Ce~90 pF (2 Kammer Wicklung)
Both chokes are good for 35-40mA at least.

2.) Measurements of (quality) S&B grid choke by Thorsten, see the link. He found Ce~65pF.

Well, 65p-90pF is not too much, but 300pF in parallel with 80pF input capacitance of 300B is 380pF. And with high impedance driver (cascode, pentode, high rp tubes common cathode...), say Rout~15kOhms, we have f-3= 1/(2*3,141*15000*380*10^-12) = 27,9 kHz , limited frequency response of the driver.
Do anybody has some more informations/measurements about "typical" shunt capacitance of grid/anode chokes?

Re: The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31519 is a reply to message #31518] Fri, 02 December 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
You could try applying AC to them and watch for the resonance. Measure series current with a sensing resistor. Signal generator, and a true RMS meter ought to do just fine.
regards,
Douglas

Re: The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31521 is a reply to message #31519] Sat, 03 December 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hehe, that`s why I asked, I don`t have any of these - true RMS multimeter, signal generator, osciloscope...

Re: The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31522 is a reply to message #31521] Sat, 03 December 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Anyway you could explain why you want to use chokes instead of resistors for us laymen?

Re: The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31523 is a reply to message #31518] Sat, 03 December 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
Hi Damir:

you were saying;

::::-200H/2800 Ohms/Ce~90 pF (2 Kammer Wicklung)
Both chokes are good for 35-40mA at least.::::

are you sure there isn't a typo in the above description?

reason I ask is.

at 35 mils and 2800 ohms DCR you'd have a voltage drop of
98 volts.

the I squared R losses would be equal to close to 3 and a half watts.

and this before you even add in any ac current and add the two vectorally to arrive at the heating current.

dropping 98 volts across an anode choke would be fairly "expensive" in terms of using volts efficiently... and would most likely be one hot little critter to the touch.

If we were to allow a 20 volt drop then our max dcr should be approx 575 ohms. And then our I squared R losses (dc only) would be approx seven tenths of one watt compared to 3.43 watts.

just curious.

msl

Re: The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31525 is a reply to message #31522] Sat, 03 December 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
You'd have to specify the reason to use a resistor in order to say if choosing a choke might or might not be better. The choke is an energy storage device. If storing energy is useful, choosing a resistor over a choke is going to be hard.

Resistors are usually esy to put into the 'single parameter' category. If you're choosing a choke to present a load, you need to consider frequency response of the inductor. This frequency response is also not going to remain constant, as other parameters of the choke begin to surface. Capacitance being the primary paramter which causes chokes to behave like things other than inductances.

As Damir was pointing out, measuring these effects is not always simple.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31528 is a reply to message #31523] Sat, 03 December 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, the Imax is not specified, I just looked in a diagrams, where L is fairly constant to 50mA. Yes, those are limited data (like usual:-) ), and I really don`t know can we use those chokes with "working quiescent DC current" of say, 40mA? Those chokes are wounded on M65 and M74 cores.
And yes, 40mA and 2k8 = 4,5W and 112V "drop"...

Re: The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31529 is a reply to message #31528] Sat, 03 December 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
Hi Damir:

you asked rhetorically:

:::I really don`t know can we use those chokes with "working quiescent DC current" of say, 40mA?:::

well... like you said... it depends...

1) can you afford to drop 98 to 112 volts depending on if you run at 35 or 40 mils dc. And what is the ac vector addition to the heating current... which we don't know and will be determined by the core losses and the inductive reactance of the choke and the magnitude of the ac volts across it...

by any standard notion or industry practice that I've seen... this level of voltage drop and winding resistance would be considered too high for the stated current levels.

2) other thing you'd want to consider... what is the resultant temp rise of the unit... is the temp rise so high that it really puts the unit in danger (by danger I mean in excess of it's ul ratings for insulations, and magnet wire type used and etc)...

but I don't want to monday morning QB another company's design or etc... I was just pointing out... the obvious... what the voltage drops and the copper power losses were under the conditions published.

perhaps it would work just fine for someone, somewhere....

msl

Re: The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31530 is a reply to message #31525] Sat, 03 December 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes thats what puzzled me; he asked about grid and anode chokes; I wondered why you would use them in place of a grid or anode resistor since they have the limitations on frequency response. Is that correct?

Re: The shunt capacitance of grid and anode chokes [message #31531 is a reply to message #31529] Sat, 03 December 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, regard is needed in commenting other people designs, especially commercial, and especially when we don`t have all the data, or didn`t try the product
Lundahl LL1667/15mA/270H anode choke specifies saturating Idc=25mA and max. AC signal voltage @30Hz = 390Vrms, Rw=2k4, but no Cw is given.
Any Cw data known for some of your products?

Previous Topic: Merlin Iron connection
Next Topic: Resistor choices for SV811 project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:40:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout