Home » Audio » Group Build » Is there a consensus on preamp project?
Is there a consensus on preamp project? [message #30030] Fri, 24 December 2004 13:19 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I assume we're going with whatever schematic Tnuctipun sends us.

Are there any lurkers out there thinking about joining in? Even if decide not to build with us, please understand this does eliminate you from the discussions. We're all here to learn, and rest assured I will ask the most basic (dumbest) questions. Don't let the technical talk scare you aware. I'm about as new to this as anyone, and I'm nervous enough for all of us.....Colin

consensus? [message #30035 is a reply to message #30030] Fri, 24 December 2004 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
now that's asking a lot. relax, I will do any hand holding and question answering that is required. Very little bits of time to do the schematic. I have a few drafts, and should be able to post a pic of the final soon. It is hard to do a proper job of putting everything injust the right place and leave room for all the notes.

I think I will publish a seperate list of 'Notes' as numbered ont the schematic.

On the CCS, look for an AudioXpress with a Dave Davenport article on his new lonestage. he details using the single DN2540N5 mosfet and provides useful insight as to using them. It is good background on this effort.
regards,
Douglas

Re: consensus? [message #30036 is a reply to message #30035] Fri, 24 December 2004 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm not pushing for a schematic. There were a few variations brought up, and no one ever said we're building "X." I know this is going require effort on you part, which I really appreciate. I was just kind of checking to make sure all the votes were counted. Have a wonderful Holiday.....Colin

Re: consensus? [message #30039 is a reply to message #30036] Fri, 24 December 2004 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Merry Christmas all you builders! Hey T, we have nothing but time so take your ease and enjoy!

some PS stuff... [message #30041 is a reply to message #30039] Sat, 25 December 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I found this on Lundahl's pages. The rectifier is what I had in mind. two diodes and a vacuum diode. I had been talking of the 6CA4, it is a tough tube. peak current capabilities to allow a 40 uF first capacitor specification. We'll be treating it quite gently with a choke input filter.

Either way, I offered help, and it is *NOT* conditional on following some specific design I happened to dream up. I have small bits of time, and the schematic is on a temporary hold until I can have longer ones. I do hate keeing you folks in suspense.

Merry Christmas y'all!
Douglas

Re: some PS stuff... [message #30043 is a reply to message #30041] Sat, 25 December 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
How 'bout using a second dual diode to form the bridge rectifier? I realize it would take another transformer winding but is that a problem to find? Or maybe we could forego the bridge and just use a dual diode for rectification. I'd really like to see us go all-valve. I'm OK if we don't, but I think it would be cool.

Re: some PS stuff... [message #30045 is a reply to message #30043] Sat, 25 December 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You need two seperate cathodes. Two Bendix 6754 would do it. And give ~45 second warming time, but they are not a mainsteream valve. If you go directly heated, we'd need a filament winding at each end of the plate winding.

Cruise Triode Electronic's Altec page and look at the full bridge on the 1570. It is made from 5R4's.

All valve is nice, but in this case additional power Tx expense. We could do a 250-0-250 plate winding...all on a sudden, instead of a $28 power TX, it is nearly double that.
regards,
Douglas

Re: some PS stuff... [message #30046 is a reply to message #30045] Sat, 25 December 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I was thinking of a circuit using a tranformer with two filament windings opposing the HV winding. You say they are available for about sixty bucks? Or we could go with a solid state or dual diode version for about thirty?

Re: some PS stuff... [message #30047 is a reply to message #30046] Sat, 25 December 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have a schematic published by Eric about 15 yrs. ago that uses a computor switching power supply for the filaments. It is choke filtered DC and he claims no hum. It is an interesting schematic on it's own. It uses a 572 triode as a SE pre-amp circuit. The afoementioned filament PS then a B+ supply from an international linear PS. The tube is a thoriated filament which sounds more clear and detailed than oxided. Interstage transformer coupled. He runs the filaments at 5.04v instead of 6.3. All in all an interesting design that acquired much fanfare.

rectifier valves... [message #30050 is a reply to message #30047] Sun, 26 December 2004 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-hey!!!, if a suitable supply is made for 2.4A of 6.3 volt filaments, a full bridge can be made from a pair of 7X6 twin diodes. Seperate cathodes and adequate PIV rating for the job at hand. Even the 261G6 is only rated for 2.5A of 6.3, increasing this is a leap up in cost...
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Project idea: Plug and Play
Next Topic: now for an amp...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:26:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers