Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Need Options for Router Table
Need Options for Router Table [message #29366] Wed, 12 January 2005 15:01 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm founding myself at a point where the projects I want to do and the way that I want to do them are limited by the lack of a router table. Using a router freehand is straightforward when building speaker cabinets as the panels are large enough for me to clamp on guides. Besides, with the size of cabinets I worked on over the summer, it makes more sense to guide a router over the cabinets rather than push a cabinet across a router table. However, with smaller projects, it's a different story.

The table would not be something I'll use just once or twice a year. Frame building from scratch is something I'd like to pick up and I have a lot of photos I've hand printed over the year that can use a home. I've used the Veritas rounter table during my courses with Lee Valley and would love to own one. But at over $400 for the system, it's not going to happen soon (damn that large screen TV I got over the holidays!).

So here are the questions:
- Are there ways for me to accurately edge, bead, groove and generally work with small pieces without a router table? We're talking about 1x2 and 1x3 pieces.
- If a table is what I need, should I consider building my own or just purchase one of the portable tables from Vermont American or Wolfcraft for $150?
- Are the portable tables from Vermont American or Wolfcraft sufficient or is there a need to go the whole ten yards with a Freud or Veritas?

thanks,
gar.

Re: Need Options for Router Table [message #29367 is a reply to message #29366] Wed, 12 January 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Challanged bySound is currently offline  Challanged bySound
Esquire

Sounds like something you need, but spending tonns isn't needed. I dont usually recommend low budget tools or 'arrangments' because you get what you pay for and ease of use and performance is a key increadiant you get in return. So then,

The history of the router table is old in the sense of people mounting a router under a flat surface and using just about anything sqyare and straight for a fence. The router table is pretty new is you want to spend lots of hundreds on some of the new and VERY fancy table and fence mechanisms. You can easily spend over a grande on a new router table to which I say by a shaper.

A fine router table can be made by mounting a router to the underside of a nice flat 3/4" ply. you can make lags, it can have a small frame under it and sit on a saw horsy. it could be a hole in an old wood table or table saw extension table. It just has to be flat. A fence can be clamped to the table top with two clamps. The fence should have a cut out in it so it is around the cutter. Taller fences are good and an L shaped fence is best. you can make a fence from wood, aluminum or steel and any combo.

Take multiple and small passes. use push sticks and sacrifice blocks. Read lots on using router tables and shapers. And you can put yourself in the moulding shaping business with a router table for little or no cost.

Bill

Re: I would just add: [message #29369 is a reply to message #29367] Thu, 13 January 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
When you need a short piece of trim push a longer piece thru the bit and then remove it from the table once you get to the length you need. Your hands never go past the bit.
Drill an 1/8" hole in the table near the bit, place a piece of rod in it and now you have an "index pin" you use to guide the workpiece into the bit for those times when you can't use a fence.

Re: Need Options for Router Table [message #29370 is a reply to message #29366] Thu, 13 January 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
GM,

My "router table" consists of a piece of 3/4" MDF on a couple of sawhorses. I haven't had trouble with bowing, but the experts would probably recommend doubling the thickness and, if you really want to get fancy, surfacing the top with laminate.

My fence consists of three lengths of 3/4" MDF glued together.

A propos of nothing, my Woodworking 101 instructor even had a portable router table, consisting of a four-sided (top, bottom, two sides) unfinished MDF box just large enough to accomodate a router and a length of MDF for the fence. He clamped the bottom of the box to the workbench or Workmate, clamped the fence to the top of the box and was ready to go.

e

Thanks guys ... [message #29371 is a reply to message #29366] Fri, 14 January 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I took a closer look at the tables that are available for $50 - $75 and it's evident that they will cause more frustration than good. If the weather's nice this weekend, I'll take a shot at building my own.

gar.

Re: Need Options for Router Table [message #29374 is a reply to message #29366] Thu, 20 January 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
How did the router table build go? Go picts?.....Colin

Re: I would just add: [message #29378 is a reply to message #29369] Fri, 21 January 2005 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
My table is mounted on my table saw. I took out the metal wings on one side and replaced them with 3/4" baltic birch, drilled out to hold the router. This way it's handy but not taking up floor or counter space, and I can use the table saw rip fence and fence accessories with it. I also cut a 3/4" groove into the birch to accept the table saw miter gauge.

Re: Need Options for Router Table [message #29380 is a reply to message #29374] Mon, 24 January 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Not started yet. I'm not allowed to make sawdust inside the home and it's been very very cold here in Toronto to work outdoors. I have found several designs in old woodworking magazines at the library that I'm studying. I'll give an update if anything happens.

gar.

Cool Idea!! (nt) [message #29426 is a reply to message #29378] Thu, 17 March 2005 17:29 Go to previous message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
nt

Previous Topic: Using Hole Saw w/o Center Bit
Next Topic: Hard looking joinery made easy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:52:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio