Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Need recommendations on which solder to use
Need recommendations on which solder to use [message #29306] Wed, 24 November 2004 02:40 Go to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
I will be building a Seal Electronics SS amplifier next month and I'm seeking advice on which solder to use. I am considering
Kester 44, Cardas Quad Eutectic, or Wonder Ultraclear. I bought a Weller temperature controlled soldering iron for this project, but I'm an inexperienced kit builder so I'm looking for advice.

Re: Need recommendations on which solder to use [message #29307 is a reply to message #29306] Wed, 24 November 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I like good old Kester 44. I've used it on everything for years, no complaints.

Re: Need recommendations on which solder to use [message #29308 is a reply to message #29306] Wed, 24 November 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I really like Radio Shack's 2% silver bearing (64-035 E). It's 0.015" in diameter, which really helps in tight places when mounting on PCB's with lots of traces.....Colin

Re: Need recommendations on which solder to use [message #29310 is a reply to message #29306] Wed, 24 November 2004 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had trouble as a novice with the RS 2% silver. I've used a lot of Kester 44 the past year. It melts at a lower temp and flows very freely. Only drawback is that it cools down to a not-so-shiny grey and might cause you to think it's a cold joint. Or worse, make you go back and apply more heat and fry a component. I've done both! Cardas Quad Eutectic melts and flows beautifully. It leaves a shiny joint that even acetone on a Q-tip rarely shows flux deposits. Buy it from M Percy much cheaper than elsewhere.

Re: Need recommendations on which solder to use [message #29312 is a reply to message #29307] Thu, 25 November 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gumby1 is currently offline  gumby1
Viscount
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I may end up going with the Kester 44 as most people seem to like it very well and it is about 1/4 the cost of Cardas.

Absolutely. [message #29341 is a reply to message #29310] Fri, 31 December 2004 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
The old RatShack 62/36/2 with the red label was pretty good solder, except that it was so skinny that it took a foot of it to make a joint. The current one with the purple/magenta label is just rubbish. Literally; it's just dirty. If you keep your tip really, really clean you can get an okay joint from it, but why?

The Cardas is just beautiful. Easy to melt, good active flux that's easy on the surfaces, wets readily, leaves a clean shiny joint, just the right gauge for electronics (though a little skinny for, like, speaker wires). I've been building a lot this last year, and I've hardly put a dent in that half pound spool.

Listen to ya Unca Poinz; go on down to the sewing store, and get a lump of beeswax. Make sure it's real 100% beeswax. With your iron, sweep over one flat side of the lump, and stick it to your stand, right next to the sponge. Not too close to the iron holder, now.

No cheating, each and every time you pick up the iron out of the stand, touch it to the wax, wipe well on the sponge, and give it a little tin with the Cardas. Perfect joints every time, and no overheating of the circuit.

Prosperous New Year, guys,

Poinz

Kester, Cardas [message #29355 is a reply to message #29312] Sun, 09 January 2005 14:19 Go to previous message
Poindexter is currently offline  Poindexter
Viscount
The Kester works okay, but it depends on how long you want it to work.

When I was hanging out at the local hi-fi fixit shop, Mark gave me two old suitcase-style tube testers; one a Heath, and the other I can't remember, but a good brand.  I hadn't used either of them more than a few times when they started to go intermittent on some sockets and tests, and then bad. I opened them up, and was horrified to find that all the solder joints in there were gray, crusty, granular.  You gotta dig that there are literally hundreds of solder joints in a commercial tube tester.  I got my nine-pin socket working again for some tests, but ultimately, those things defeated me and ended up in the big brown file cabinet.  I've also seen the same thing in a lot of old tube hi-fi gear I'm pulling apart - horrible crusty solder joints all over the place. I don't know if that was specifically Kester 44, but certainly an equivalent.

I've been using first the old RatShack and then Cardas for about fifteen years now.  I take that gear apart, and those solder joints look just like the day I put them in there.  A lot of my gear is either made on commission or sold after the fact to appreciative pals, and for the difference in cost (maybe two bits for a piece of gear), I just can't conscience the supposed economy.  These guys trust me.

It's certainly your call, but that $20 half pound of Cardas will last you for years (probably your career as a hobbyist) , and you'll never have to think about it again.

Respectfully,

Poinz

Previous Topic: Miter clamps
Next Topic: Making nice looking grilles
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:33:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers