Home » Audio » Craftsmen » What's the deal with Baltic Birch plywood?
What's the deal with Baltic Birch plywood? [message #29204] Sun, 15 August 2004 22:32 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I noticed that the Baltic Birch plywood I got in
handy panels (so I could transport them) wound up with
a significant amount of voids after cutting.

I thought this stuff was supposed to be void-free.

What's the deal?

My little whiskey box style nearfields using Tangband w3-871Ses
are finally together. I don't have a lot good to say about
how the butt joints turned out either. But there was a lot of
stuff to learn on a first project. I guess you could call these
the 'rustic' look. Oh yeah.

:o)

Re: What's the deal with Baltic Birch plywood? [message #29205 is a reply to message #29204] Mon, 16 August 2004 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't know what handy panels are, but Baltic Birch / Finnish Birch / Russian Birch are most assuredly void free.

If you're in the US and went to someplace like Home Depot or Lowe's you bought birch veneer plywood, but that is far from the product know as Finnish or Baltic Birch. I saw some birch veneer plywood in Lowe's recently that was actually lumber-core (what lumber is anybody's guess).

I believe 18 mm (3/4" stock) has 13 plys (1.4 mm each).

Re: What's the deal with Baltic Birch plywood? [message #29206 is a reply to message #29205] Mon, 16 August 2004 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Yes, the Home Depot was my point of purchase. I haven't
been to Finland. Handy panels are 4x8's cut down to
2x4 ft. They are handier to carry.

My next project hopefully will be a Voigt pipe in
pine if I can find some without knots.

I am making some test boxes for Fostex FE27e in a
MLTL design in between things.

Re: What's the deal with Baltic Birch plywood? [message #29208 is a reply to message #29206] Mon, 16 August 2004 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I dont think HD sells Baltic. Have not noticed any at the stores I've been to at least.
Look for a distributor in your area for Appleply. An American version of Birch and Alder combination. can be had in 4x8 sheets instead of the traditional baltic 5x5.

Bill

Re: What's the deal with Baltic Birch plywood? [message #29209 is a reply to message #29206] Mon, 16 August 2004 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've been in a few Home Depot stores - Maine, New Hamshire, virginia, Massachusetts, Louisiana, Texas and Puerto Rico. I think that's a good enough sample for me to assure you that you didn't get Baltic Birch.

Actually, I read recently Home Depot is trying to settle all kinds of problems with South American countries where they source most of their plywood. The stuff they import is really, exceptionally poor. I buy it all the time because it's convienient, but it offers nothing else. They sell something they call "sanded plywood". The face veneers look really great, A-A. When you cut it or run a router into it little islands within the wood catch fire. Little embers. Weird. Sometimes they fly out of the cut glowing like you were at a grinding wheel.

You can buy 20 X 30 pieces and larger of Finnish or Baltic birch on the internet - Do a Google search. They will want to cut it to facilitate shipping. The full panels are 60" X 60" so the cut pieces will be multiples of those dimensions.

If you want to do something economical with solid wood try poplar. Really stinks (to me at least) when you cut it but it certainly is beautiful stuff to work with. Trying finishing it with some milk paint.

White Pine and similar softwood is actually some of the hardest wood to work with. You need incredibly sharp tools to cut it cleanly, and keeping a sharp molded or square edge is nearly impossible.

Re: What's the deal with Baltic Birch plywood? [message #29210 is a reply to message #29209] Tue, 17 August 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

That stuff at The Depot must have been plain birch ply rather
than baltic or Finnish.

I'm going to have to get out the phone book and look for a real
lumber yard to get some board stock. The Poplar is a good
suggestion.

Re: poplar [message #29211 is a reply to message #29210] Tue, 17 August 2004 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Actually, the poplar at the local HD is VERY nice stuff.

The must really take care in drying it - die rule straight. No warp or wind at all.

We have them up here at Home Depot [message #29212 is a reply to message #29209] Tue, 17 August 2004 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
11 plys in 17mm and they're very nice. And expensive too at close to $20(Cdn) for 2x4 pieces.

Please don't be insulted by this... [message #29214 is a reply to message #29212] Wed, 18 August 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
but I really think that's highly unlikely, if only for the reason that the size doesn't correspond to standard for the product. It's invariably 60" X 60" (or whatever the metric equivalent is). Cutting 2 X 4 panels from 5 X 5 panels just isn't practical. Also, 11 plies isn't consistent with the 13 ply srandard, the only way I've ever seen it. I just went and looked at a piece of 1/2" Baltic Birch to see if I was remembering incorrectly - it has 9 plies, which sort of confirms my memory of 13 plies for 3/4".

The price ($80 Cdn per sheet,for partial sheets) is equivalent to about $61 USD per sheet, $15 USD per quarter sheet. That's roughly what they charge for their "cabinet grade" birch veneer plywood here.

3/4" - 18 or 19 mm Baltic birch here is also around $60 per sheet. But that's $60 for 25 Sq Ft, vs 32 Sq Ft for "ordinary" plywood. If the comparison holds up, you ought to be paying even more than you are for Baltic Birch.

Re: Please don't be insulted by this... [message #29216 is a reply to message #29214] Wed, 18 August 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Just checked the local HD for Baltic birch veneer ply; it does stock the Baltic variety. What it does carry, however, is 3/4" 11 ply sheets in 2' x 4' for around $14. The cross section shows inconsistnt qulity of wood used. It seems every other layer is of lower quality "wood" with many voids.....Colin

Previous Topic: Thank you, Mr. Martinelli
Next Topic: Quick poll: what would you veneer with out of these?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:41:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio