Home » Audio » Craftsmen » More methods of work -- Hookup of speaker to termination
More methods of work -- Hookup of speaker to termination [message #28913] Thu, 08 January 2004 11:52 Go to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I have seen a couple of methods both soldered and unsoldered
for hookup of the speaker or speakers inside the enclosure
to the termination cup or individual binding posts.

What do the readers here do to make this connection?

What I've found so far is that a quick disconnect system
is preferred so that the hobbyist can change things around.
Other reason for pressure connect rather then solder is to
make a cold solder joint which is considered better for
conductivity.

But how to bring all these things together? I am using
the Radio Shack 1197 in a pipe project. The connecting lugs
on that are teeny tiny. So what sort of pressure connector
system works on these?

I have included one method that does show some soldering
but also can be quickly connected/disconnected.

(not real good at cutting and pasting into this message
board though...)

Re: More methods of work -- Hookup of speaker to termination [message #28914 is a reply to message #28913] Thu, 08 January 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Personally, I like soldered connections. Good ol' 60-40 rosin core solder. There are some crimp connectors that are quite good, with attention paid to gas-tight connections that won't corrode. But simple pressure-crush crimp connectors are far more common, and they simply don't offer as good of a connection.

What I like to do, is to solder everything on circuit boards, and any connections that will be permanent or semi-permanent. I like having wires that are spliced onto other wires covered with heat-shrink tubing instead of being wrapped with tape. And termimal strips or connectors are soldered as well.

If I'm using a spade lug or other crimp connector, I like to solder those too. Stranded wires that will be inserted bare into spring-loaded connectors are tinned with solder. For serviceability, I'll employ spade lugs, jacks, plugs and other types of connectors, but I like having them connected to their wiring harnesses with soldered connections. That way I am able to have cable assemblies that are removable and keep the equipment they're used in serviceable, but I still get a good connection that is mechanically and electrically sound.

Re: More methods of work -- Hookup of speaker to termination [message #28915 is a reply to message #28913] Fri, 09 January 2004 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master

My solution: I solder a short run of wire to the speaker. I solder a short run of wire to the binding post. In between, I use a "Euro Connector" from Radio Shack. Hopefully, this picture will work. If not, follow the link. It's the first picture on the page

Re: More methods of work -- Hookup of speaker to termination [message #28916 is a reply to message #28915] Sat, 10 January 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Thanks electrodude,

I think this craftsman forum is building a good information
base.

Also I note the fact that your Euro connectors are not
attached to discernable fancy wire. I've seen big thick
braids attached to some pretty small speaks.

Re: More methods of work -- Hookup of speaker to termination [message #28918 is a reply to message #28915] Sat, 10 January 2004 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

You have a part number for that? My search at RS turned up 187 entries. I got through a few and also am going to stop by there today, if still open.

Re: More methods of work -- Hookup of speaker to termination [message #28921 is a reply to message #28916] Mon, 12 January 2004 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I'm trying to check the part no.

As for the wire, I just double up on the hookup wire I have on hand, either Kimber 20 gauge stranded TCSS or Welborne 18 gauge solid.

Re: More methods of work -- Hookup of speaker to termination [message #28922 is a reply to message #28921] Mon, 12 January 2004 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

I couldn't come up with much at RS. There was something called a Euro
but not small and white like your picture.

Weren't you supposed to be in Vienna?

Over at PE I was asking how these other things would work:

RS European-Style Terminal Strips [message #28924 is a reply to message #28922] Tue, 13 January 2004 08:39 Go to previous message
Grand Master
Note to Webmaster (or whoever): I thought I posted a response earlier this morning, but it doesn't seem to have "stuck", so I'll do it again.

A link to what I think I use is attached below. I use a hacksaw to separate. I have no idea why they're "European-Style". Probably the same reason some drivers are called "Euro Style" -- none!

Unfortunately, I'm not in Vienna!

Previous Topic: A most excellent craft project on a Fostex driver
Next Topic: Speaker Selection Switch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:21:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers