Home » Audio » General » Peavey VSX Speaker Management System
Peavey VSX Speaker Management System [message #3208] Fri, 02 June 2006 16:42 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Kids!

I know that this post is about a nominally professional piece of audio gear but some people may also buy it for home applications so I thought I'd post here. Below is a letter I just sent to Peavey - it's self explanatory.

Let's get the preliminaries out of the way first - I'm just another idiot customer. I know I'm just a means to enhancing the revenue stream and increasing shareholder equity. I know you and the rest of the company don't care whether I live or die so long as I buy, BUT NONETHELESS I JUST HAVE TO GO ON RECORD TO SAY I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS.

I purchased a VSX 26 based on what I felt was the single most important feature it offered over the similarly priced competition - a GUI interface. Now that I've taken delivery of the unit I find out that the GUI is vaporware. On top of that the RTA is also non-existent. What good is a speaker set-up device without RTA?

Yeah, I guess I can try to use my Rane RTA in conjunction with the VSX box but why should I? I bought the Peavey box to be able to clean out my rack of a bunch of Rane boxes - no point in that apparently.

I don't know what else this thing doesn't do that the web site says it does (I've only had it an hour and half of that was on the phone) but it's just unbelievable to me that I should be in this position. It's even more unbelievable that Customer Service says "Yeah, I know. Watch the web forums for updates". If the web site said what the box DOES do and what it MIGHT some day do, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

And then the cherry on the top - Customer Service says I can return it to the factory for a CREDIT!!! A credit - why in the world would I want to buy ANYTHING else from Peavey? So I can get hosed again?

I know, I'm not only a useless customer but a whiner too and nobody gives a damn once the money's in the bank. That said, this is the most unprofessional experience I've had in 30+ years of buying PA audio gear (then again, it's the first time I've bought Peavey - you think they might be related?).

Yours in incredulous disappointment,
Charlie DeLuca

Re: Peavey VSX Speaker Management System [message #3211 is a reply to message #3208] Fri, 02 June 2006 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey Charlie; you do irate real good. Whats the outcome; can you take 'em to court? Fill out that boilerplate Bloomburg complaint form and file it with the small claims court; 5$ to file. What do you have to lose? They have to answer.

Re: Peavey VSX Speaker Management System [message #3212 is a reply to message #3211] Sat, 03 June 2006 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Honestly John, I don't see any point. There is a remedy at law - the dealer will accept it as a return. But I have to admit that now I'm intrigued - this is like a view into one of those worlds you stumble into now and then - like collectors of 8-track tapes and erotic netsuke. Amazingly enough, after some more research, it seems that most people are just fine with the idea. Apparently there's a cult of Peavey devotion that doesn't worry about such minutae.

I may just have to ride this out to see where it goes.

Re: Peavey VSX Speaker Management System [message #3213 is a reply to message #3212] Sat, 03 June 2006 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hold on; I'm busy collating my erotic netsuke collection; I'll be right there.
Good Luck with this.

Whassup? [message #3215 is a reply to message #3208] Sat, 03 June 2006 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow - Charlie - Sorry to hear about your hassles and disappointment but it's great to hear from you again! Have you recovered and settled in after the hurricane?

Re: Whassup? [message #3218 is a reply to message #3215] Sat, 03 June 2006 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Wayne

Yes, it's been quite a while since I checked in. We're pretty well under control now (just in time for the new season!). I have some patching left yet but things are reasonably back to normal, which is why I'm back fooling with audio again.

Re: I lead a sheltered life [message #3219 is a reply to message #3213] Sun, 04 June 2006 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had to Google "erotic netsuke"
Kinda wish I hadn't...

Re: I lead a sheltered life [message #3220 is a reply to message #3219] Sun, 04 June 2006 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The height of the pursuit of exacting minutia taken to extreme. Like audio somewhat.

Re: Whassup? [message #3221 is a reply to message #3218] Sun, 04 June 2006 11:24 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad to hear things are getting back to normal. Good to hear from you!

Previous Topic: Line voltage
Next Topic: Garage sale find.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:51:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout