Home » Audio » Home Theater » Free DVR with Installation from Dish Network
Free DVR with Installation from Dish Network [message #28800] Wed, 18 February 2004 10:47 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That sounded like an advertisement, didn't it?

But I just heard about their promotion, and wondered whether the quality of the DVR was any good at all. Any of you know anything about it?

Re: Free DVR with Installation from Dish Network [message #28801 is a reply to message #28800] Fri, 16 April 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
We are a three TIVO household, so you can assume that I like TIVO. I always record at best quality and do not notice any degradation in picture quality on my 36" Sonys.

One is a Sony DirectTV receiver. It works well, too. Here, in Kansas, I get a good signal. The C-band satellite receiver gave a better signal, and the Ku-band was sometimes better and sometimes not. But, when the wind blows (always in Kansas!), the big dish was unreliable, where the little one rarely loses signal except in storms.

The good thing about TIVO is that you can set it and forget it. The only time it has a problem is if, say, the President gives an unscheduled speach, and the programming is thrown off schedule, so that you miss the last 15 minutes.

My neighbors across the street have a Dish and they like it.

Since I am served by an REC, I have Pegasus and had to buy and install my TIVO dish myself (easy), but I also do not have a long term contractual obligation either. I feel screwed because I pay the same as the guys who got the special deals, but what can you do.

Forgot to mention [message #28802 is a reply to message #28800] Fri, 16 April 2004 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
I forgot to mention that none of my TIVO's support HDTV, but the DirectTV does support Dolby 5.1 audio. I am going to try to live with these until HDTV TIVO's come out.

BTW, I remember when I bought my first TIVO, I thought "I'll just use it as a fancy vcr and not use the programming features." Many people feel this way. And, most find out just how wrong they were. The programming guide and season passes are great!

I suspect that Dish has something similar, but not quite as fancy.

Re: Forgot to mention [message #28803 is a reply to message #28802] Fri, 16 April 2004 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Cool. Good info to know, thanks!

Re: Free DVR with Installation from Dish Network [message #28825 is a reply to message #28800] Mon, 09 April 2007 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
I mean it's a DVR. It simply pauses things that you can't watch at that time and records it for you. Their Dvr's are fine, I haven't had a problem with it since I started their promotion. I say try it out while it's still a promotion.

Re: Free DVR with Installation from Dish Network [message #28837 is a reply to message #28800] Sat, 20 October 2007 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
I really don't know too much about DVR's. I come to this forum to learn more about this kind of technology. I'm sorry that I couldn't help.

Crystal

Re: Free DVR with Installation from Dish Network [message #63009 is a reply to message #28800] Tue, 01 June 2010 09:22 Go to previous message
DaBase is currently offline  DaBase
Baron
I have a DVR through At&t and I've had no problems with it other than having to record your shows 5 mins longer then the end time. I don't know about Dish Network because I've never had them but I can only assume that the quality is good.
Previous Topic: DVD/CD players
Next Topic: DVR Future Proof
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:38:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout