Home » Audio » General » WSOTT meeting
WSOTT meeting [message #3166] Sat, 27 May 2006 18:19 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had the pleasure of hosting the Wrong Side Of the Tracks Audio Club today who came to humble themselves before the XLH 1812 speakers.

L-R Steve Brown, Speakerman 57, Colinhester and Piece-it-Pete.
We dined on charred cow flesh and Bud. Plus, Rogues Dead Man Ale.
brought by Steve (thank's Steve). A primo brew.

After they got over my having all this free audio swag we enjoyed music that each of us provided so everybody got to hear new stuff. One of the best things about audio get-togethers, in my opinion.
As host, you want some one else to choose music you've heard too many times. As guest, you want the host to play something unfamiliar.
So I told everyone to bring, when they asked, music.....and Beer!

Having this amazing new "job" puts me in closer touch with my audio buddy's which makes my all-time top five reasons it's good to be a reviewer.

Thanks for coming.

Re: WSOTT meeting [message #3168 is a reply to message #3166] Sun, 28 May 2006 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Bill, thanks for hosting the get together! A great time to hang out and listen to some excellent tunes and meet some new audio buds! Those speakers are truly amazing!

Re: WSOTT meeting [message #3170 is a reply to message #3168] Sun, 28 May 2006 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for posting the picture. Great to see everyone!

Re: Colin is blocking the amps in the picture. [message #3172 is a reply to message #3170] Mon, 29 May 2006 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
In fact all I see is one horn and a bag of chips. Any equipment at this meet? Does one of you work for Lays? How about an itinerary?

one horn and a bag of chips [message #3175 is a reply to message #3172] Mon, 29 May 2006 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Add some nice music; What more does one need?

Re: one horn and a bag of chips [message #3176 is a reply to message #3175] Mon, 29 May 2006 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; but you can only play piccollo music. And crunch between the notes.

Re: WSOTT meeting [message #3177 is a reply to message #3166] Mon, 29 May 2006 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hey,
The smile on everyones face tells the whole story. But, Ron appears to have a little more sunshine since his eyes are squinted so much.
Thanks Bill for putting on this WSOTT meeting and sharing it with all of us here.
I am looking forward to your write about these great looking speakers.
Continue to have fun!
Norris Wilson

Re:Funny you should mention crunching [message #3178 is a reply to message #3176] Mon, 29 May 2006 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Colin and I were crunching as loudly as we could to drown out the cuppla 80's solid waste receivers 'someone' insisted on hearing with the 1812's.
The speakers were the center of their Universe. We used the KR Audio VA340 amp all afternoon and alternated between the Original Leonardo CDP for Redbook and the Sony 775 with mods for SACD. No one remarked at all about cheap SACD sounding pretty much like the expensive CDP, except SACD sounds smoother. Not better. Smoother.
Can't say much about the 1812's except:"...take out that fargging wall and that fargging wall, and ...".

Re:Funny you should mention crunching [message #3179 is a reply to message #3178] Mon, 29 May 2006 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Not bad. The whole CD/Sacd thing is an anomaly to me, I am frozen in time due to so many variables to consider regarding digital music. I've thought about Audiocubes and the CEC belt-drive just to be different.

Pics [message #3180 is a reply to message #3166] Tue, 30 May 2006 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Bill was a great host. To say the sound was spectacular would be quite an understatement. Thanks again for a great time

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here's Bill making a minor tweek to the the woofer. Behind the woofer is one of the biggest X-over boards you can imagine. There was an oil cap in the there the size of an oil can.....

Previous Topic: My custom car audio install
Next Topic: Intersting Phenomena
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:38:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout