Home » Audio » Home Theater » Remote compatibility Onkyo & Pioneer
Remote compatibility Onkyo & Pioneer [message #28526] Thu, 09 February 2006 23:35 Go to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
I was looking at a Pioneer 25 disc CD changer... I noticed that the interconnect sockets on the back, for connecting the CD player to a receiver, for use with the remote control is similar to the Onkyo R1 sockets and plugs.

I have also seen older Onkyo and Pioneer CD changers that used exactly the same 6 disc magazine.

So, can you hook a Pioneer CD player, or other device to an Onkyo receiver or preamp, and control it with the Onkyo R1 remote control?

Re: Remote compatibility Onkyo & Pioneer [message #28527 is a reply to message #28526] Fri, 10 February 2006 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I dunno about that, but have you looked into purchasing a universal or programmable remote? If they don't work together, that's something you might consider.

Re: Remote compatibility Onkyo & Pioneer [message #28528 is a reply to message #28527] Fri, 10 February 2006 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yeah, but most "universal" remotes are made to support TV, VCR, DVD, Sat/cable boxes. I have found a few that will support stereo gear.

I have an Onkyo Preamp, Power Amp, and Tuner that use their "R1" remote system.

I had read somewhere that a particular Onkyo CD or DVD player was actual a certain model Pioneer packaged in a sturdier pkg, aluminum faceplate instead of plastic, etc. I have an old Pioneer CD player that belonged to one of my sons, looked, noticed the interconnect sockets on the rear for slaving units together were similar to Onkyo, too. Made me wonder if there is more in common between these two.

And I saw a good buy on a Pioneer 25 CD changer... so I was wondering if anyone had tried linking these two brands together.

Re: Remote compatibility Onkyo & Pioneer [message #28529 is a reply to message #28528] Sun, 12 February 2006 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Gotcha. Maybe your son could bring his remote some time when he visits and you can check it and see if it will operate your Onkyo gear. If it does, please let us know. That would be good info for the archives.

Re: Remote compatibility Onkyo & Pioneer [message #28530 is a reply to message #28529] Sun, 12 February 2006 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
The remote for his old Pioneer CD player is long gone, or lost in all his moving around with mil, or I would have done just that.

Re: Remote compatibility Onkyo & Pioneer [message #28531 is a reply to message #28530] Sun, 12 February 2006 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I see, yeah, that makes sense. I wonder if either have repair parts available? Remotes have gotten pretty cheap, so it might be worth the risk. Then again, maybe someone that knows will respond. It would save buying one just to find out. My luck is never that good though. Just as soon as you buy one to try it and see, someone will see the post and reply.

Re: Remote compatibility Onkyo & Pioneer [message #28532 is a reply to message #28531] Sun, 12 February 2006 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I have the old Pioneer CD changer working... this is a 6 CD magazine fed changer, not the 25 disc unit I was looking at. I have an Onkyo remote coming that should work the preamp, tuner, tape, and CD players.

I have found out the jumper cables are merely shielded wire with 3.5 mm aka 1/8" mono phone plugs on each end. So, I'll make some up, plug them in, and see what happens.

I had noticed that this Pioneer 6 disc magazine is identical to the Onkyo mags on some of their older CD players. That led me to thing that maybe they were actually the same under the skin. But I have found out that the mechanism was actually made by Phillips. The same mechanism and magazines are used by Pioneer, Onkyo, Phillips, Hitachi, Realistic/Optimus, and several other brands.

Will see what happens.

Update [message #28540 is a reply to message #28532] Mon, 06 March 2006 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
OK, here is what I found out... Pioneer and Onkyo both used similar jumper cables (what Onkyo called "R1" cables) to interconnect units. These are simply shielded cable with 1/8" (3.5mm) mono plugs on each end.

I hooked up an Onkyo Receiver and Pioneer CD changer. No dice, will not work from the Onkyo remote. Too bad... was hoping to get one of the larger Pioneer 25 or 50 CD changers to work with my Onkyo equipment.

Re: Update [message #28541 is a reply to message #28540] Mon, 06 March 2006 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good info, thanks. Others can benefit from your experience, thanks for sharing it with us here.

Re: Update [message #28552 is a reply to message #28541] Thu, 06 July 2006 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
sub-zero is currently offline  sub-zero
Chancellor
I have been looking at getting an Onkyo system, this information is quite helpful, thanks

Previous Topic: HT update
Next Topic: Home Mini Theatre System
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:14:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout