Home » Audio » Home Theater » A couple of general Home Theater questions if I may...
A couple of general Home Theater questions if I may... [message #28486] Wed, 23 February 2005 16:11 Go to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have two stereo amps and two stereo preamps. Can these be used instead of a Home Theater preamp? In other words could I use one preamp and one amp to run the front speakers and the other preamp and amp to run the side speakers. Then all I need to figure out is a center channel. I have a subwoofer as well. How important is it that all speakers are the same? I have two matching fronts and two matching sides but front and Side speaker don't match. Also the center channel would not match either.

As you can tell I have never set up a home theater and have almost no experience with home theater. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Do you have a decoder? [message #28487 is a reply to message #28486] Wed, 23 February 2005 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You need some kind of decoer to send the unique signals to each amp. Do you have a 5.1 or 7.1 preamp/decoder? If not these can be picked up pretty cheap at the usual consumer electronic stores. Look for one with pre-outs - this way you can use your own amps. Yamaha makes a really nice one for less than $400 The surround speakers should not make that much of a difference if they are not the same. I would try running w/o center channel just to see if you like it. Believe it or not, there are a lot of people that prefer phantom center.....Colin

Re: Do you have a decoder? [message #28488 is a reply to message #28487] Wed, 23 February 2005 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hmm, sorry for not knowing too much about this.

I thought the DVD player separated the signals to each speaker? Is this wrong? In other words my DVD player seems to have separate RCA's for left, right front and left/right sides as well as a center. Couldn't I use these outputs to each preamp?

Re: Do you have a decoder? [message #28489 is a reply to message #28488] Wed, 23 February 2005 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I'm not sure why it would not work taking the line level out from your DVD into the preamps and then to amps. You might try it with, say, fronts L and R, and see what happens. With two preamps you could control the volume and balance of each channel. You would need another amp for the center, but a $20 gainclone (T path amp)from Target or Parts Express would work well.

Curious - what bramd and model of DVD player do you have?......Colin

Re: Do you have a decoder? [message #28490 is a reply to message #28489] Thu, 24 February 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi,

My DVD/SACD player is the weakest link in my system by far. It's a Phillips 963SA. I believe it has the outputs I would need but I could be wrong. I am just in the beginning stages of Home theater set up. Really just thinking about it at this point. I am a two channel "vinyl" guy as you can tell from my moniker. I was hoping to set up a home theater with the stuff I already have around the house which is the reason for my questions. Of course I wouldn't want to compromise my two channel set up. Don't all DVD/SACD players have separate outputs for left/right front, center and left/right side?

Thanks

Re: Do you have a decoder? [message #28514 is a reply to message #28490] Tue, 02 August 2005 13:47 Go to previous message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
I don't know about SACD but as for DVD most have only a 2 channel output, relying upon decoding circuitry in the preamp/receiver. I personally wouldn't go without a center channel. For one thing it sounds more natural to me, but mainly I think it's best to have the same system in the home as in the studio that it was originally mixed on, and that means having a center channel. On the other hand I really don't care for the sound that music mixed to stereo has when listened to in surround.

Previous Topic: in-wall volume control 1 input into 2 speakers
Next Topic: 'way down deep' Article
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:22:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout