Home » Audio » Home Theater » Cable TV hum
Cable TV hum [message #28474] Sat, 16 October 2004 19:57 Go to next message
Ken Bailey is currently offline  Ken Bailey
Esquire
My sound system has always had slight hum that I just lived with. This afternoon I rearranged the family room and when I connected everything back up I noticed it was dead quiet. At first I thought it was the wall socket then I realized I forgot to hookup cable TV. As soon as I connected it, the hum came back. I'll call the cable company Monday but does any of you know a solution by chance?

Thanks in advance,

Ken Bailey

Re: Cable TV hum [message #28475 is a reply to message #28474] Sat, 16 October 2004 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Ken,

This is actually very common. In many cases, the cable television shield is at a different potential than earth ground on the wall socket. It would be nice if they connected these together at the point of entry, but many times, they don't. So a ground loop results when you connect your cable to your television and to your sound system.

There's an easy solution if your television (and radio tuner, if connected) has 300 ohm antenna inputs. Get a 75-to-300 ohm transformer and connect the cable through it. This will isolate the cable shield from chassis ground and will break the ground loop and reduce the hum.

Wayne

Re: Cable TV hum [message #28484 is a reply to message #28475] Sun, 16 January 2005 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Hi Ken,
I use a Jensen Iso-Max and it is a simple, effective, but pricey solution. If I had known what i learned at the link below, I might have tried other things first. If you just want easy and don't mind the money the Iso-max does the job. The info below will say it all better than me.
Thomas

Re: Cable TV hum [message #28485 is a reply to message #28484] Mon, 17 January 2005 11:05 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yup, yup. Good link, thanks!

Previous Topic: Sonotube stuff
Next Topic: Tubed HT system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:29:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio