Home » Audio » Pro Sound » On my way to a Nobel Prize
On my way to a Nobel Prize [message #28359] Sat, 31 January 2004 07:31 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The only problem I have with Rane gear is that some of my boxes have tiny push button on-off switches. They're very easy to accidentally hit, and if it happens to be something like a crossover, there's real potential for havoc.

I glued some plastic advertising magnet stuff together to form a sheet about 3/16 inch thick. Then I made washers out of it, the center hole the diameter of the on-off buttons. When the buttons are depressed I put the washers over the buttons (they stick to the faceplate without marring it) and cause the power button to be recessed. This makes it nearly impossible to accidentally depress them.

Anybody want to nominate me?

Re: On my way to a Nobel Prize [message #28360 is a reply to message #28359] Sat, 31 January 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Damn, that's gooooood.

Hey, you still got those Altec's with built-in subs?

Re: Altecs [message #28361 is a reply to message #28360] Sat, 31 January 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes, sir! Probably will have for a while, until I settle on the next move.

I'm contemplating using the 515's as horn-loaded lower mids (sealed back chamber), open baffle bass units and the 511 horns on top (three distinct pieces to make the handling easier).

Re: Altecs [message #28362 is a reply to message #28361] Sat, 31 January 2004 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, Altecs are pretty much horn loaded mids and treble, from 100Hz up. Lower registers are from direct radiation.

What do you have in mind for OB bass? High Q woofer and large partition?

Ever thought of bolting a woofer directly to the wall? That makes something in between IB and OB. It's like a quasi-IB and you can sort of see it as a large sealed box that's leaky, making it similar to an open baffle. Something in between.

Re: Altecs [message #28363 is a reply to message #28362] Sun, 01 February 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yup, I get them flattest XO at about 125 Hz.

For the OB thing, my current thoughts are to go with the PE IB driver: 14 mm Xmax, Qts 0.65. Sensitivity is kind of low at 88dB, which is bothersome. I'll be looking at this for a while yet.

The problem with somethign along the line of IB is that there's little wall space to be utilized - very open floorplan. And the other problem is that the walls would probably rattle to beat all. Cathedral ceiling, 15 ft at the center. It's slab construction, so the walls aren't doing too much bearing other than self weight - it think they'd really be annoying.

Re: Altecs [message #28364 is a reply to message #28363] Sun, 01 February 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Gotcha. It was a thought.

Re: Altecs [message #28377 is a reply to message #28363] Tue, 13 September 2005 14:31 Go to previous message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
wunhuanglo Where is this install ? I see in the AES 1978 or 1979 theres an article on a disco install using 15" + radial HF horns,and subs all over the place

Previous Topic: Problem with Marshall DSL401
Next Topic: using guitar amp heads with a bass speaker?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:00:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio