Home » Audio » General » Time for GPAF!
Time for GPAF! [message #3024] Fri, 05 May 2006 09:15 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Lots of stuff to do, getting excited!!!

Quick report from the front [message #3025 is a reply to message #3024] Sat, 06 May 2006 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Everyone has been geting setup, lots of really great systems here! I took longer than I expected because I found myself getting sidetracked with this and that. But my room is finally set up (at 2:00am). A bunch of us went out to eat, that's always nice. I listened to Jim Griffin's system for a minute, sounds great. The Azzolina Audio room looks great - Just love those huge blue horns and the vented LaScala style bass bins. Can't wait to listen to them. An Audio Note preamp gave fits so I loaned my Kit 2 while another system is flown in (hopefully) making it here by tomorrow morning. Two Oklahoma club rooms are setup, one by Akhilesh and the other by Mark Margiotta. The Dallas and Houston rooms are also setup and stocked. Fred mans one and Jim is in the other, as well as all the other usual suspects. BassMaxx and MaxxHorn are here setting up in the room just above me. Every once in a while I hear a loud thump and I don't know if they've dropped an engine block on the floor or I'm hearing a power-on thump from the bashorns, but I suspect the latter. Jef Larson has the abraxasaudio room ready to go with some luscious tube amps. He's running a pair of my tower twos and also a pair of Brines speakers. I know there are others I've forgotten but hey, it's 2:00am and I'm just now finished setting up myself. I'm definitely eager to check all the great gear out tomorrow!

Re: Here at the 330 Abbeyfeale Room [message #3026 is a reply to message #3025] Sat, 06 May 2006 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

The 300 LB. XLH 1812's aren't quite set up yet.
They await the arrival of Mr. Ping Gong, just back from China who's flying in from Boston today.
Huge thanks to Ron the Speakerman and Devon the X-Man who uncrated the 4 pallets and wrestled them inside while Bill the Cripple watched.

330 Abbeyfeale Room [message #3027 is a reply to message #3026] Sat, 06 May 2006 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Amazing thing is I can actually move this morning still!!!

One of the "heaviest" speakers I have actually help move!

Ron

Re: Here at the 330 Abbeyfeale Room [message #3028 is a reply to message #3026] Sat, 06 May 2006 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'll take a pair. Put my order in to Mr. Ping Pong.

Re: That's a typo on the name, right MB? [message #3029 is a reply to message #3028] Sat, 06 May 2006 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Otherwise it's beneath you.

Re: Here at the 330 Abbeyfeale Room [message #3030 is a reply to message #3026] Sat, 06 May 2006 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hey Bill,

Those are some great looking speakers. Do you have any further information about them that you could share?

It would have been great if you, maualblock, and Spkrman57 could have made it to Tulsa this weekend.

But, I guess you guy's will stick with the wrong side of the tracks audio fest.

Norris Wilson

Re: Here at the 330 Abbeyfeale Room [message #3031 is a reply to message #3026] Sat, 06 May 2006 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's cool Bill. Really cool. I wish you and the rest of the Ohio bunch could have come to Tulsa this weekend. You were missed.

Photos online [message #3032 is a reply to message #3025] Sat, 06 May 2006 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Here are some photos from the show this weekend. I'll make time to change names to something more meaningful soon, and do a few write-ups. Others have promised to comment as well. But for now, you can view the photos by clicking on the image files in the directory below:

Oh grandma, what big horns you have... [message #3033 is a reply to message #3026] Sat, 06 May 2006 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
I heard these speakers at CES, and they impressed me hugely. Definitely one of the best rooms I heard, though admittedly I didn't get around a whole lot since I had to man a room of my own over at T.H.E. show. But I sent out my scouts to let me know which rooms were worth going to, and this one got a unanimous thumbs up. This was the room that my hard-to-impress musician son was most excited about and most wanted me to visit.

The dynamics were everything you'd expect at first glance and then some. Absolutely stunning. I heard no sense of limitation at all. The bass was very tight and very natural sounding. It sounded like high quality horn bass, but without the horn. As I recall I didn't hear any problems with the tonal balance, but didn't get a chance to really check that out with my own familiar discs. The only thing that bugged me a little was, even with eyes closed, the sound source seemed to be coming from a higher angle. But then the room was small and I was sitting fairly close, so the angle thing was exaggerated.

Now I'm not saying these are the most cost-effective speakers in the world, but they were utterly effortless and totally enjoyable. I could have stayed there all day.

If that was Mr. Gong in the room at CES, he impressed me as very enthusiastic, passionate, and polite. Tell him "hello" from one of the many who enjoyed a visit (two actually) to his room. As one who dabbles in speaker design myself, I'd say he did a superb job with the crossover. And in my opinion it's crossover design that separates the men from the boys.

Duke

Previous Topic: WSOTT - Cinci edition - July 15
Next Topic: fostex up 203 super
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 02:03:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers