Home » Audio » General » A little carping
A little carping [message #2971] Mon, 10 April 2006 18:52 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I was just reading some TT threads on another popular audio forum site. I have to pitch a bitch here about a couple things. First up; the guy posts asking about the comparison between the Shure M97 ed and the Audio Technica AT 440. There were eighteen replies; I kid you not and geuss what? Not one answered the question. There were replies that explained all kinds of stuff about mass and compliance; most of it slightly wrong; some of it really wrong. Some guys offered the advice to use coins on the headshell to help with tracking.
There were stories about old tables people had known and loved; there were some good links to stuff that had nothing to do with the question; some had nothing to do with audio.
Finally the guy just said he bought the AT 440 and thanks but no thanks.

Maybe I am old fashioned but I think it's good to make posts that deal with the question at hand; but I notice there is a tendancy to do this; reply with all kinds of irrelevant info; useless analogies and disconnected narratives that have nothing to do with the question at hand. Or nice lengthy descriptions of things the reply person has owned since 1930 or pictures of his living room. I find it frustrating when a simple answer completely eludes an entire group of forum participants.

This guy still has no idea if the Shure is maybe a better choice for him. What a shame. Because in that arm the Shure probably was a better choice. And no one mentioned cementing the stylus to the headshell; which is a major improvement on every cartridge I have ever heard in the under 100$ range.

I promise to try and offer an answer if I think I might be able to help someone that deals with the specific question the poor guy asked.
I'd love to see that become a common practice.

Also that people actually read the post and think of what the question is.

Re: A little carping [message #2972 is a reply to message #2971] Mon, 10 April 2006 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, I get really irked about stuff like that too. It's just fluff, not really useful. I suppose if people enjoy just kicking around things, that's fine. But I gotta level with you - A lot of the sites that act like that are heavily seeded by sockpuppets fluffing up threads.

Re: A little carping [message #2973 is a reply to message #2972] Tue, 11 April 2006 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
O'Kay but why can't they fluff on topic? Probably not the site you're thinking of. This wasn't any kind of disagreable conflict; just guys missing the boat. You see it on every forum. Someone asks a specific question looking for a helpfull answer; and fifty guys chime in on totally unrelated issues burying the original posts intent.
And offering all kinds of personal experience that has no relation to the question. Then other guys start tracking that guys post and soon the guy who asked the question is listening to something he has no clue what it even has to do with his question.
Then there are those who just want to make a post because they're bored or just want to post something to be involved so they come up with some useless tidbit of non-information and derail the thread.
It happens everywhere.
You tend to stay on topic though; thats true.

Re: A little carping [message #2974 is a reply to message #2973] Tue, 11 April 2006 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I hear you. It's almost like no one is listening to each other, they're just posting about whatever comes to mind having some slight association with the topic. Again, I think that's OK, it's all just for fun anyway, but it does reduce the usefulness of the board as an information resource.

There are a few messageboards that have lots of random and seemingly unrelated posts from sockpuppets as well as real people, and we all know the boards I'm talking about. They're all over the map. There's one that is a lot of fun, tongue in cheek stuff, although it sometimes goes over the top. But then when you realize that everything on it comes from about five regular members posting with a bunch of fake names, the board seems less like an audio discussion site and more like a demented blog.

Re: A little carping [message #2975 is a reply to message #2971] Tue, 11 April 2006 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yeah, it really annoying how some people get so off topic with posts. Ruins the whole discussion. It's too bad ..."we can’t bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don’t go anywhere -- like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. 'Give me five bees for a quarter,' you’d say.

"Now where were we? Oh yeah -- the important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones..."

Re: A little carping [message #2976 is a reply to message #2974] Tue, 11 April 2006 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The beauty of all this is it makes you realise how much we miss things like the nightly news that has standards to follow. They may have not been perfect, but it was a whole lot better than a "Bunch of Demented Blogs."
Sorry; off topic, but it relates to our conversation in a roundabout sort of way.

I see now that the really serious forums are charging a member fee. 10$ seems to be the usual rate. Not a bad idea. keeps the floaters out. But I geuss then if you want to be noticed it doesn't help to be locked down.

And one more thing; how much can you write about audio anyway? Thats why keeping the music section alive is so important. That changes and as such provides fodder for new ideas.

Re: A little carping [message #2977 is a reply to message #2975] Tue, 11 April 2006 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Garman; where you been man? I see you have had similar experiences with the Shelbyville line. That ferry used to be mule-drawn. 'Till the mule took sick and died. They say it was that tonic he got into; in the stovers shed, the big tin-roof over by the place where the road shines; where they boil them onions. You could smell 'em down clear to Morganville. Dead Mule Crick they call it now. Or was that Shelbyville?

Re: A little carping [message #2978 is a reply to message #2976] Wed, 12 April 2006 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I would say the thing to do is what I suggested on here:
ask the racquonteurs (sp?) when they last got their hearing
checked. At least it would slow them down.

But I only come on here and DIY audio/Full Range and
Full Range Driver forum.

There's not much spin or wandering around on those. I dropped off
Madisound and Parts Express and was never much connected with
audio asylum which everyone seems to hate anyways.

The real dedicated project guys seem to be on those other two:
the threads go to 500 entries and all meaningful.

Re: A little carping [message #2979 is a reply to message #2978] Thu, 13 April 2006 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; there are quite a few serious sites. DIY Tube, Joelist, I have them saved. It would be nice to have a good audio site that could provide all things to all people. So far that doesn't seem to be happening. Either they are very serious about a single topic full of guys who are dedicated to that one thing in which case you can't participate on any meaningfull level.
Or they are silly.
Or they are predjudicial towards certain points of view and refuse to entertain anything that doesn't co-respond to their thinking.
Then there is a case to be made that most of what can possibly be written or discussed regarding hobbies like this is already done to death. So where to go in terms of encouraging a meaningfull dialogue that pertains to things audio and that has a different slant or something original to offer.
I can say what I think doesn't work; but it is hard to figure on what does work.
We know the Stereophile model is not what anyone wants to read. Endless reviews of equipment and fetishistic photography of amps and speakers gets old real quick. But long technical posts involving one tiny aspect of a small percentage of interest doesn't sound so great either.

I know I like when people involve good stories that revolve around audio and building equipment and music and what it means in their life and personal philosophy. But there isn't much of that since Sound Practices went under.

Re: A little carping [message #2980 is a reply to message #2977] Thu, 13 April 2006 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've been hiding out trying to figure out this digital printing thing. I've been told that digital photography is here to stay, but I can't seem to get the same quality of print that I used to with film in a darkroom.

Previous Topic: Near out of body experience
Next Topic: Warning!!! My computer has a virus.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:25:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio