Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Phase shifters and Phlangers
Phase shifters and Phlangers [message #26893] Thu, 08 July 2004 16:49 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I used to play keyboards in a little band, seems like a million years ago. I had a Korg synthesizer at one time, and a Mini-Moog on another. Even had a Moog Liberation for a while. But that's the extent of my experience with musical instruments.

I always wondered what exactly was in phase shifters and phlangers, but never bothered to open one up or look at a schematic to see. It isn't just a device that shifts phase of the entire audio band by a fixed amount, 'cause that wouldn't be audible. It sounds like it shifts a certain frequency range and then varies the shifted amount in relation to the rest of the band so that the interaction becomes audible.

Undoubtedly you guys know the answer. Just out of curiosity, what kinds of circuits are used in those things?

Re: Phase shifters and Phlangers [message #26941 is a reply to message #26893] Tue, 14 December 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hitsware is currently offline  hitsware
Baron
A phasor uses a series off all-pass filters with voltage (or current) controlled parameters. Jfets, LDR's, or transconductance amps can be the active elements. Then (at the output) the shifted (by a continuously varying amount (via a LFO driving the elements)) signal is mixed with the raw signal giving the comb filtering effect.
A flanger uses a bucket brigade device to time delay the signal. The clock to the delay device is varied by a LFO and then the signals mixed as above.

Re: Phase shifters and Phlangers [message #26943 is a reply to message #26941] Tue, 14 December 2004 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks, I was always curious, but never enough to look and see. I could hear them and visualize one of a few circuits that it might have been, but just never confirmed it. I knew one of you guys here would know. Thanks for saying.

Re: Phase shifters and Phlangers [message #26944 is a reply to message #26943] Wed, 15 December 2004 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hitsware is currently offline  hitsware
Baron
From previous thread:

Re: Phase shifters and Phlangers [message #26946 is a reply to message #26944] Thu, 16 December 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Good article, thanks.

The writer did a good job of illustrating how it is the frequency anomalies that we hear, not the phase. The nulls produced and the shifting of the nulls is what's audible. It's interesting to me to see the different approaches of the phlanger and the phase shifter, and how some devices don't even combine phased signals to do it at all, and instead use filters generate a notched response curve to provide the same effect.

Re: Phase shifters and Phlangers [message #27020 is a reply to message #26946] Wed, 20 April 2005 16:49 Go to previous message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
About these things, at one point I had a Ibanez (think so) analog delay box
for guitar. It had a dry and delayed output. In one mode,
you set up a fairly short delay and modulated the delay time slowely. If
you hooked both outputs to a stereo, the chours effect was really
nice. It was BBD based, so it was rather noisy, but cool none the
less. I've still have a Boss CE-1 (or-2) that quit working years ago.
I've looked inside but couldn't see how it worked. Come to think
of it, now that I have a 'scope I should try again.
Chris

Previous Topic: VOX Pathfinder 15R or Marshall MG15DFX
Next Topic: I don't know anything about guitar...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 15:00:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio