Home » Audio » General » Funny Life
Funny Life [message #2810] Fri, 10 March 2006 09:47 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
All this wonderfull new technology; lets see; my DVD palyer has been used about twenty times and now is broke. Will not read the disc.
I joined Yahoo Groups for Eico's because I want to re-build my ST 40 and they do that there. Unfortunetaly; with Firefox you can't access Yahoo Groups. I bought a couple CD's from Amazon and they billed me twice. There is no info on how to contact them anywhere on their site. My friend told me of Gethuman.com and I had to access that site to get a phone number for Amazon; three or four days of nonsense.
I can't get my pics to upload on any of the servers and all I want to do is show someone a pic of an amp so I can troubleshoot it. I went to Radio Schlock to get an IEC input for a chassis and the kid tells me they sell the cords and the chassis but they don't sell the IEC's. Then I have to look up all the parts on the internet in their store.
My cable box failed and to re-tune the new one I had to spend three hours on the phone; then cancel all of my pay channels and then re-submitt them so I can get HBO for the Soprano's.
My son can't get e-mail because of the router not functioning properly.
Now the cable shuts down when I seek the info button to see whats on that channel. Verizon billed me twice for the same month. The phone can't record messages now we don't know why.

Here's what I want, an RCA 25" dot matrix TV with 21 channels, 2-21 and all the old shows on.
A rotary phone.
All of the great old electronics shops that used to sell around here for fair prices.
The old stereo shops back with used sections.
The five newspapers that nused to sell here.
All computors to self-destruct as of 12 am tonight.
Everyone on the block to return to the old console magnavox stereo's everyone had and then actually played music on them; while they talked. Amazing that people used to talk.
Record stores with new artists people actually want to hear.
A 1964 Pontiac LeMans. With bucket seats and an FM radio playing Allison Steele or Steve Post.
A cassette recorder to record all that great music from the radio and play them in my car with the top down.

Re: Funny Life [message #2811 is a reply to message #2810] Fri, 10 March 2006 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You should move to Tulsa.
-akhilesh

Re: Funny Life [message #2812 is a reply to message #2810] Fri, 10 March 2006 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Totally. I'm with you.

In the 70's and 80's, I loved new exciting technologies. Sometimes I still do, but more and more I have grown fond of "old school" stuff, for a lot of the same reasons you've described. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's simplicity. But whatever it is, I sometimes yearn for an old phone that plugs into the wall and a car with breaker points. Who cares that I can't use them together.

Re: Funny Life [message #2813 is a reply to message #2810] Fri, 10 March 2006 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I agree about going back. I realize you can't but it would be fun. I had a 65 Olds Cutlass that I put a balanced and blueprinted 455 W-30 engine in and had lots of fun.
I picked up my MX-114 from a shop in Portland yesterday. They fixed it but gone is the tech who willingly explained what he did and so forth.
I have Firefox and also use the Yahoo groups a lot. I have Yahoo mail for when I travel so maybe that's the difference between my Firefox setup and yours? I would send their tech people an e-mail explaining the problem and I'll bet they contact you with a fix.
The other day I found a AR remote system that plugs into vintage equipment so you have a remote volume control. I'm hooking it up today to see if I can tell any difference in noise, sound etc.

Re: Funny Life [message #2814 is a reply to message #2811] Fri, 10 March 2006 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Why is that? Because they like old technology? Or life is simpler?
I may be rooted here now. I traveled a lot in my youth.

Olds 455 [message #2815 is a reply to message #2813] Fri, 10 March 2006 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

http://www.parhamdata.com/Olds455.jpg
Olds 455

Look familiar?

If you look back, mounted on the firewall, you'll see a TO-3 transistor in a little aluminum box. That's fired by points. http://audioroundtable.com/emoticons/smiley.gif

The engine is fed through a dual-plane intake with a Holley 830CFM annular discharge carburettor breathing through aluminum heads. Roller lifters ride on a 276 degree, 0.505" lift Comp cam. The exhaust is plumbed with ceramic coated Hooker Headers. Pretty good street performance but not the best on economy.

http://www.parhamdata.com/Cutlass.jpg
1983 Olds Cutlass

I always liked the looks of this model car. I like the older ones too, they're true classics. But this one is pretty special to me.

B&M transmission. Ford nine inch rear end with Moser Engineering axles and limited slip differential. Sway bars, front and rear, with large stiff springs and Bilstein shocks. Wilwood disc brakes on all four 16" Centerline wheels. All the good go fast stuff along with electric seats and windows, all the creature comforts I want. And no OnStar or other Big Brother contraptions anywhere.

http://www.parhamdata.com/Wayne_and_Cutlass.jpg

No cell phones, no dash computer, no DVD player, no BS. Just 500HP and a cassette player. Wouldn't want it any other way.

Re: Olds 455 [message #2816 is a reply to message #2815] Fri, 10 March 2006 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Nice; BWT; Before Wind Tunnel; so they had style, now they all look like some kind of cheese bun.
Nice ride, hard to do that up here with all the salt on the roads.

Re: Olds 455 [message #2817 is a reply to message #2815] Fri, 10 March 2006 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Just the way a fun car should be. No frills or J. C. Whitney crap. I never found out how fast my Olds went. It had a 3.23 posi rearend and at 4000RPM the speedo needle was long since buried and it would do the half lane side shifts so I would back out of it. With that rearend ratio I could actually achieve almost 19 MPG on the freeway. It was turning 2700 RPM @ 70 MPH. Mostly I managed 4-6 MPG because of chronic right foot seizures.
Very nice looking car Wayne. I was talking to a young man the otherday who was extolling the virtues of today's high tech ricers. While I can appreciate the reality of what they can do I told him "they are great but they still sound like Geese farts on a muggy day." Which is a line I stole from Leo Kottke the guitarist

Re: Olds 455 [message #2818 is a reply to message #2816] Fri, 10 March 2006 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
I have a 65 Lemans convertible almost finished. End of this month. Rebuilt 326, Edlebrock 4bbl, 4spd overdrive tranny (for mileage), and a pile of bodywork and paint. Pretty much stock as it's my son's car and I didn't want it too hot. The duals make it sound like a 389 though. It takes 30 minutes to fill up with gas because every car guy pulls in and wants to talk.

Wayne's car sounds as good as it looks. I was admiring it at the sub shootout.

Re: Olds 455 [message #2819 is a reply to message #2815] Fri, 10 March 2006 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice Wayne. A friend of mine in high school had a 1984 Hurst/Olds 14th ? Anniversary model that looked just like that only with the little hood scoop on it and the shopping cart handle on the trunk deck. It ran pretty well for stock and the lighting rod shifters were cool.

My step-dad had a '64 nova, 350 with dual double pumpers that we used to drag. Not incredibly fast, but in the 1/4 it would pin you to the seat. He got ticked at me one time cuz I twisted up the driveshaft.

Previous Topic: The 4400 Season One
Next Topic: Thoughts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:01:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout