Home » Audio » General » New format battles LP and SACD
New format battles LP and SACD [message #2800] Fri, 03 March 2006 16:38 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Would you bet against Mark Levinson and Dick Burwen?
They have a new format that exists on your PC. Using Bobcat, a Lynx-based language, and a USB DAC developed by Burwen, this was the best kept secret of C.E.S.
Watch for this cat!

Re: New format battles LP and SACD [message #2801 is a reply to message #2800] Fri, 03 March 2006 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Bill; why would this signal processor be any different than the other signal processors? Turning an analog signal into a digital algorythim that is supposed to sound analog; is it really good? Don't they always make these claims whenever a new digital processing plan comes out?
Are you saying this because you heard it?

Re: New format battles LP and SACD [message #2802 is a reply to message #2801] Fri, 03 March 2006 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
First heard of it today from a U.S. distributor of seevral audio lines. He heard it at CES. We had been talking about "the death of the CD".
Search your memory of the years 1983 to 1990 whan every monthly issue of Stereophile saw "the next great DAC"; single bit, multi-bits, upsampling etc.
My source also alluded to a visit he made recently to some folks who have "rack after rack" of CD's and Records. And their son walked through listening to an Ipod!
OTH, I don't have to back-up my CD's every night and keep dupes in a Limestone cavern in Utah:)

Re: New format battles LP and SACD [message #2803 is a reply to message #2802] Fri, 03 March 2006 20:48 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Maybe there is no "better" to be had ever, maybe the vinyl was the pinnacle of reproduction and thats all. Now there will be an endless spiral of less and less enjoyable but more convienent to use media.
I love my CD's they are so easy to use. There is always hope on the horizon but I might be doomed to eternal disapointment.

Previous Topic: Eico ST 40
Next Topic: Lone Star Bottleheads - New Web Site
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:39:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout