Home » Audio » General » Garage sale find.
Garage sale find. [message #26512] Sat, 03 June 2006 11:03 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I just picked up a pair of early 80's Klipsch Heresy's for $100 at a garage sale. I looked at them at last years "rich neighborhood" sale. They weren't on the menu last year, I just noticed in the corner and asked if he wanted to sell them. He told me to come back a little later and he's think about it. When I came back he wanted $400 for them. So I thought on the off chance I'd stop by this year. There they were, in the same spot and when I asked about them he laughed. He asked if I was going to resell them and I said no. So he replied with a $50 each offer and I gladly accepted! The cabinets need redone and the grills replaced, but right now they are sounding quite nice as I type this! I chose the Polk 5 monitors back in the day over these and have always wanted a pair. Now I have both! WOOT WOOT!!!!

Sweeeeeet! [message #26513 is a reply to message #26512] Sat, 03 June 2006 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Garage sale find. [message #26514 is a reply to message #26512] Sat, 03 June 2006 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Are those the one's he would not sell earlier? Or was that someone else?
Are they the Walnut cabinet?

Re: Garage sale find. [message #26515 is a reply to message #26514] Sat, 03 June 2006 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yep. Same guy! He decided, I guess, that I wasn't one of those guys buying to resell on epay and figured I was someone who would use and enjoy them. Which I am! My daughter and I just finished a dance to Diana Krall. Most enjoyable.

These have the walnut veneer over plywood cabinets with the angled riser pieces on the bottom (the back says they are Heresy's and not Heresy II's). The grill cloth needs replaced. It's not ripped or frayed, but very dingy. WOuld look better with new black cloth. The cabinets are a little rough here and there, but nothing major. I touched them up with a walnut stain pen and they look 100% better.

One thing I found out was that my old Kenwood amp I'm running them with is a little lower on the left output volume than the right side. I didn't notice it much with the Polks, but it's very evident with the Heresy's. Had to trim the balance a little to even things out.

1982 model HBR's [message #26516 is a reply to message #26515] Sat, 03 June 2006 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ok, did some checking. They are 1982 models that came in a raw birch plywood, so someone finished them aftermarket, but did a pretty fair job. They are the walnut color I'm sure.

Re: 1982 model HBR's [message #26517 is a reply to message #26516] Sun, 04 June 2006 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The ones with the T35 tweeter; thats good. Thats the best model in my op.
There are a lot of mods for them written about in the old speaker builder mags. Cheap to do too.

Re: 1982 model HBR's [message #26518 is a reply to message #26517] Sun, 04 June 2006 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
"The ones with the T35 tweeter; thats good. Thats the best model in my op."

That was the consensus on the Klipsch forum, also. That the 1981-2 series of Heresy I's were the best made. Which is cool!

"There are a lot of mods for them written about in the old speaker builder mags. Cheap to do too."

I only have a couple of issues from Speaker Builder back in the day. Do you happen to have any idea where to look. Always good to have some options for mods if the mood strikes. For right now they are staying stock, though. Although I may replace the binding screws with actual posts so it's easier to unhook them. Or I could just make up some cables with spades on them just so the speakers can remain stock.

Re: 1982 model HBR's [message #26519 is a reply to message #26518] Sun, 04 June 2006 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I tell you what; let me do a search of the archives and see what I have lurking in the basement file system. I'll get back to you. I have a bout 5 years of complete issue sets so there must be some things in there. I can scan any pages to you.

Re: 1982 model HBR's [message #26520 is a reply to message #26519] Sun, 04 June 2006 11:25 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Excellent! Thanks so much!

Previous Topic: Peavey VSX Speaker Management System
Next Topic: Houston Audio Society - Saturday, June 10th
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 16:39:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio