Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » SPL meter confusion (long)
SPL meter confusion (long) [message #24990] Thu, 18 December 2003 21:02 Go to next message
newsjeff is currently offline  newsjeff
Baron
I was playing around with my Radio Shack SPL meter today. I was measuring the sound in my home theater, using only the front speakers and a sub. The meter was set at 80db, C weighting, slow response. I used the Stereophile Test CD #3, tracks 17, 18 and 19. These tracks use 1/3 octave warble tones.
Below are the results, with and without meter corrections done by Michael Sims of Prairie State Audio Construction Society. My numbers may not be that exact. This was actually a test before I examine my main listening room and main stereo.
By the way, my home theater is 17X12 with 9 foot ceilings and hardwood floors. There are windows against my back wall (behind the TV and stereo) covered with curtains. The only furniture I have in the room is a couch. Needless to say, this is a very live room.

Uncorrected Corrected
20Hz 76 83.5
25Hz 83 88
31.5Hz 81 84
40Hz 76 78.5
50Hz 73 74.5
63Hz 81 83
80Hz 86 88
100Hz 87 89
125Hz 85 85.5
160Hz 82 81.5
200Hz 82 79.5
250Hz 80 84.5
315Hz 84 82.5
400Hz 84 84
500Hz 84 83.5
630Hz 81 81
800Hz 82 82
1khz 81 81
1.25Khz 80 80.5
1.6Khz 81 81.5
2Khz 79 77.5
2.5Khz 79 77.5
3.15Khz 81 79.5
4Khz 82 80
5Khz 84 82.5
6.3Khz 86 84
8Khz 79 87
10Khz - -
12.5Khz - -
16Khz - -
20Khz - -

If you graph the numbers, there is a peak at 25Hz, a dip at 50 Hz, and another peak at 6.3Kh. A dip starts at 8Khz and continues down and off the scale from 10Khz to 20Khz.
Can anyone tells me what these numbers mean? Is it normal for speakers to fall off at 8Khz on? The only room treatments I am considering are Risch DIY tube traps and HF panels. Will these help?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: SPL meter confusion (long) [message #24991 is a reply to message #24990] Fri, 26 December 2003 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hi there,

You need to take it outdoors and do measurements. Indoors, reflections and stuff are completely wrecking your measurements. Move the microphone even half an inch in another direction, and you could get a completely different freqeucny response. Take 'em all outdoors and do measurements there, and make sure its far away from any surrounding walls to avoid reflections which will ruin your measurements.

Instead of using test tones and them measuring the SPL, a much more accurate way I'd reccomend to measure the frequency response of your system is to use a computer based program. Speakerworkshop is a program which runs on the computer and takes a number of various acoustical measurements including the freq response which you want to do. You can use your RS meter with speakerworkshop, just hook it up with the loop back cable to your sound card. Make sure your sound card supports the full functions in Speakerworkshop though, theres a test option in the program to test your sound card for compatibility. www.speakerworkshop.com

A large rolloff above 8KHz isn't "normal". It means theres a huge lack of the very highest frequencies, like cymbols and stuff. It should be very noticable when you listen to a system with the major HF rolloff and then one which doesn't.

What sort of speakers are you using? Have you also upgraded the mic in the RS meter to one which is flat? The mic in the RS meter actually has a huge rolloff above the same frequency which you noticed the big rolloff. Get the Panasonic WM-60AY from Digikey. Its about 2 bucks + shipping and linear right throughout the entire audio spectrum. I'd also reccomend putting the mic on the end of an external rod, so you can move the microphone around while having the meter seperate from it, as having your body near it introduces reflections too. It also makes it easier to use, so you can have the microphone placed way away and hold the meter in your hand and read it easily. See http://www.gti.net/wallin/audio/rsmeter/33-2050/33-2050.html for this microphone modification.

Adrian

DIY Microphone Boom [message #24992 is a reply to message #24991] Fri, 26 December 2003 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You can make a nice little measurement boom with an inexpensive plastic tube available at most hardware and plumbing supply stores.

The tube used for plumbing the cold water supply to a toilet is available in plastic, and it's the perfect size for fitting the Panasonic condensor microphones, including the WM-60AY. These tubes are about 20" (1/2 meter) long and work very well for this purpose. You can pick them up at just about any hardware supply store.

The capsule can be pressed in and it fits in snugly. Run a shielded microphone cable up through the tube and solder it to the tabs on the microphone so that the solder joints do not extend wider than the diameter of the capsule. Press the microphone down into the tube a little bit so that it is held firmly.

This makes a neat little measurement boom. One end is the microphone and boom, and the other end is shielded cable to RCA plug.

Re: DIY Microphone Boom [message #25010 is a reply to message #24992] Thu, 01 July 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
martinleewin is currently offline  martinleewin
Chancellor
Adrian & Wayne,
I checked the Panasonic web site for this product line. They are discontinuing all of the wideband omnidirectional models! I will see if DigiKey still has stock.
All electret condenser mics I have seen require a phantom DC supply. The apps note schematic,
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/pdf/em16_microphone%20schematic_dne.pdf, does show a 2VDC supply and load resistor needing to be hooked up.
Is this the arrangement you use? Not a major thing, but I would need to build or buy a phantom power unit since my preamp does not supply any. It does make it more than a $2 item by then.
Just wondering if the equipment you use has phantom power that is compatible? Especially since many phantom power mic inputs exceed the 10V max for this device.
Martin W.

Re: DIY Microphone Boom [message #25011 is a reply to message #25010] Thu, 01 July 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The preamp I use is shown on the post called "Microphone Preamp." It is inexpensive and works well, easy to build and provides power for the microphone.

Re: DIY Microphone Boom [message #25012 is a reply to message #25011] Fri, 02 July 2004 09:40 Go to previous message
martinleewin is currently offline  martinleewin
Chancellor
Thanx Wayne,
That answers the Panasonic question well. I will build a phantom power box to go between this and a SWR California Blonde (acoustic guitar amp) used as a portable powered monitor for room testing in the field. It is handy as a wideband preamp/amp/2-way speaker and has a completely separate mic channel used for RTA pickup. Only thing lacking is that phantom power.
The Panasonic mic and phantom will still cost less than an RTA mic like the dbx. And it is more fulfilling to build it yourself.
Martin W.

Previous Topic: Room gain AKA cabin gain
Next Topic: Room Acoustics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:53:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers