Home » Audio » General » question from poland :]
question from poland :] [message #24826] Wed, 12 January 2005 15:59 Go to next message
MarX is currently offline  MarX
Esquire
hey!
I would like to ask you - experts - for advice :]

Right now i'm using some unknow thomson headphones for less then 10 $ ;] and I've never used better ones ;D

my question is, right now I have some money which I would like to spend on new headphones...

I'm going to use it mostly with my PlayStation 2 (right now connected with my JVC mx-j850r) playing games :] 2nd use will be listening to music on my PC (SBLive 5.1)

good audio effects in games are the most importent to me... and YES stuff like virtuall surround etc. is much more importent than extra - clear sound ;] (i hope you know what I mean)

i'm thinking about:

akg K66
Sony MDR-if540rk
Panasonic RP-wf930
Panasonic RP-ht711
Sennheiser HD 515
Sennheiser RS120

which (or maybe something else for similar price?? ) should I buy and why ??? Will "normal" stereo sound in 515 be (for me) something more exciting than v. surround systems in panasonic's or sony's ?

please help!

waiting for your answers
marx

ps. are sony mdr-g74sl MUCH better than MDR-g58v or mdr-g54lp ?? I mean is it better to spend this 10 $ more on first or not ?
ps2. sorry but my english is not perfect... ;P

Re: question from poland :] [message #24827 is a reply to message #24826] Wed, 12 January 2005 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'll wait to see what the headphone aficionados say. But you might get lucky and win the Grados on the 30,000th post game. I know those are pretty nice.

Re: question from poland :] [message #24828 is a reply to message #24827] Thu, 13 January 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
pretty nice means better than ones I've mentioned or on the same level ?

Re: question from poland :] [message #24829 is a reply to message #24828] Thu, 13 January 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Here's a link to their webpage.

Re: question from poland :] [message #24830 is a reply to message #24829] Thu, 13 January 2005 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
thnx
and what you think grado's 60 are better then sennheiser 515 ?

Re: question from poland :] [message #24831 is a reply to message #24830] Thu, 13 January 2005 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I have never listened to the 515's, so my opinion between the two means nothing; however, for the MONEY (and a lot more,) the Grado's are the best 'phones one can buy. Don't just take my word; google for a review. Another thing to consider is a nice headphone amp. This will improve the sound as much as new cans for the ears. If you like to DIY, head (no pun intended) to headwize.org (I think it's .org) for a list of projects. I'm just finishing up a small chip amp that cost me about $40, inclding the power supply. Personally I listen to AKG 240's, but that's cause I picked them up for $0.42 at a flea market. The guy came down from a dollar - SCORE!!!!!

Re: question from poland :] [message #24832 is a reply to message #24831] Thu, 13 January 2005 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
hehehhe thnx a lot and what is your personal opinion about surround headphones ? any favorites ? or should I leave this topic ;D cause I've read soooooo much about it that i'm almost sick of it ;D anyway in I'll get normal stereo then yes grado's looks great but what if surround ? hmmm... sony ds3000 ? sennheiser hd555 ?

Re: question from poland :] [message #24833 is a reply to message #24832] Fri, 14 January 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I have never listened to "surround" type cans. I do recall a year or so ago that the 555 was being sold at around $100. It looks like you've done your homework, and I cannot tell you the Grado will meet your needs, since it was not even considered from your first post. I would go with what other gamers recommend. If the Grado's do not fit the bill for your application, then go with what others use. One place to look at is audioadvisor.com. They have a pretty good selection of 'phones and head amps. Last night they had a demo pair of Grado SR60 for $55. I have bought used from these guys in the past, and I have never be disappointed. LEt's us know what you decide.....Colin

Re: question from poland :] [message #24834 is a reply to message #24833] Sat, 15 January 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
thnx the problem is I can't find any gamers recommendation on the net :/ any way thnx for audioadvisor.com link looks good, right now my choice is between sennheiser and sony
of course I'll write post when I finally get ones

ps. can you answer me one more question ? I've ready that there're usually 2 types of headphones, close and open - I've read about it's advantages and disadvantages, but my question is: aren't close ones unhealty ? I mean can they do any harm if I'll use them for to long ?

Re: question from poland :] [message #24835 is a reply to message #24834] Sat, 15 January 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Given the rep of Sennheiser, I would go with them. Is there a local audio store that will let you audition with your music source?

The only way phones can do damage is by playing too loud for too long. There are different design: the ones that sit on your ears, like the Grados, and the ones that cup your ears, like the Senns. Oh yeah, there are also ear buds which go in the ear canal. The only real difference that I'm aware of is comfort. With my AKGs, I can only listen to them about 2-3 hours before they start giving me a massive headache. When you buy, make sure the store will let you return them if you are not 100% satisified. Extended wearing is the only way to find out what's right for you.

Again, if phone listening is going to be your primary source of audio stimulation, you should look into a nice headphone amp. Well worth the investment.

One more thing, like when comparing loudspeakers, make sure you evaluate and equal volume levels. If not, the louder one will always sound "better."......Colin

Previous Topic: recond Sansui 500A
Next Topic: Johnny Carson
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 04:37:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout