Home » Audio » General » Wireless headphones and "WAF"
Wireless headphones and "WAF" [message #24797] Tue, 09 December 2003 14:11 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Anybody have experience with wireless headphones? I'd like to run a wireless headphone from preamp level outputs.

Seems like "WAF" is a big topic of discussion on the High Efficiency Speaker forum because high-efficiency speakers are often quite large. But that is massively trumped by the anti-WAF of trying to listen in the bedroom late at night. I can get away with massive horns in my living room, but I can't push my luck with late night listening. So I'm relegated to crystal radio levels.

Re: Wireless headphones and "WAF" [message #24798 is a reply to message #24797] Tue, 09 December 2003 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete Whitley is currently offline  Pete Whitley
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

I've heard the Sennheiser RS65 are pretty good.

Pete

Re: Wireless headphones and "WAF" [message #24799 is a reply to message #24798] Wed, 10 December 2003 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, I was just looking at those yesterday - Just before I made my post. That was the exact model I was looking at, and it may very well be the one to have. But do you know of other popular models?

Re: Wireless headphones and "WAF" [message #24800 is a reply to message #24799] Wed, 10 December 2003 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete Whitley is currently offline  Pete Whitley
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,

You might want to try www.headfi.com or www.headwize.com. These are more established headphone forums and you might get more input. Generally, headphone fans are against wireless headphones so be prepared.(

Re: Wireless headphones and "WAF" [message #24801 is a reply to message #24800] Wed, 10 December 2003 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good suggestion, thanks. And I understand the negative sentiment about wireless headphones, as I feel this way about wireless speakers. But I really think it is more because of specific implementations and not necessarily because of the technology. All the wireless speaker systems I ever saw were mediocre, but this doesn't mean that the technology is flawed - I just happened to see mediocre implementations. So that makes me feel skeptical about other implementations, even though I know that good designs are certainly possible.

Anyway, I already have high end gear and am just looking for a wireless solution.

Re: Wireless headphones and "WAF" [message #24802 is a reply to message #24800] Wed, 10 December 2003 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Hi Wayne,

Yep, he's right, and I'm one of 'em. You're throwin' the baby out with the bath water,
musically. And what if you want to change CD's? Ya gonna pad on out to whatever
room the stereo's in to change it? In my corporate cubicle dwelling days, I had a
portable CD player as transport on my desk, DAC and tube headphone amp under my
desk and Senn 600's. People thought I was nuts, unless I let them listen. ;-)

The Antique Sound Labs phone amp is nice; David Berning's Micro ZOTL is a quality
monster. (Now I listen to an Audio Note Meishu and AKG K1000's - 300B's are the
only way to make these phones really happy!)

Re: Wireless headphones and "WAF" [message #24803 is a reply to message #24802] Wed, 10 December 2003 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

(Don't tell anyone but I want the wireless headphones mostly for sound while watching TV)

Cans have more to offer than just privacy [message #24804 is a reply to message #24801] Wed, 17 December 2003 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne,

When done right, headphone listening can be very very good. And what I like about headphones is that it's a lot easier and cheaper to get it right than the power amp/loudspeaker combo. I'm a firm believer of the 1/10th rule in that you can get the same quality of sound from a set of headphone for 1/10th the cost of comparable speakers. Same for the cost of headphone amps vs power amps.

I know that you're looking into headphones as a means for personal listening, but there's no reason why it can't be "high end" too, like your other gear. Like speakers, there needs to be a good match between the amp and headphones. I'm using a set of Grado 225 with a Mapletree Ear+ amp and the combo is fabulous. Another popular combo is Sennheiser with the Antique Sound Lab.

Keep us up to date on your journey into the world of cans. I'm very interested in seeing it from the perspective of a speaker guy.

gar.

Re: Wireless headphones and "WAF" [message #24805 is a reply to message #24797] Tue, 30 December 2003 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lonesatyr is currently offline  Lonesatyr
Esquire
Not for anything, Wayne, but why don't you simply move your listening out of the bedroom completely. Even when listening to headphones, I prefer to be able to get up, turn on a light, change the music once in a while, grab something out of the fridge, etc. Besides, I've not yet met a wife that would tolerate even headphone listening in the bedroom.

(Tried to post under Lonestar, but your server keeps saying I entered the wrong password. I'd already posted once using the password and subseqeunt replies don't have a password box to fill!)

Re: Wireless headphones and "WAF" [message #24806 is a reply to message #24805] Tue, 30 December 2003 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I really don't use the bedroom system for much listening; It's more for watching TV, sleeping and bedroom type stuff.

The password box deal is kinda weird. Maybe clear your browser cache, pages and cookies.

Previous Topic: It's cook-out time!
Next Topic: 96kw 'VALVE' system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 13:28:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout