Home » Audio » Speaker » Monsoon computer systems
Monsoon computer systems [message #24646] Tue, 28 December 2004 06:28 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Everyone,
I just bought a used monsoon audio mm1000 system for my computer. I bought it based on a strong recommendation fromthe audio critic magazine.
The system consists of 2 planar speakers with neodynium magnets from 200 HZ plus, with an active sub, and an active crossover. THe sub goes down to about 50 HZ. I have to say, this is a fantastic sounding system. It sounds a lot cleaner than my home system, (maybe the planar speakers are cleaner?), and whileit lacks the soft lush sound, it sounds more accurate and cleaner. OVerall, very very good! Anyone heard systems by monsson (songistix isthe paprent company I thnk?)
-akhilesh

Re: Monsoon computer systems [message #24647 is a reply to message #24646] Sun, 02 January 2005 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It would be interesting for you to get together with Mark Margiotta and compare with his Magneplanars. I think the meeting after next might be at his place because he has a few new things to show. We could combine this to hear your new aquisition too. Next meeting will probably be at Wassilak's place, to showcase his arrays. But I think it would be interesting to hear the difference in the Monsoon and Magneplanar speakers, so maybe we could do that at the meeting after next. Whatdya think?

By the way, how large are the Monsoon speakers?

Re: Monsoon computer systems [message #24648 is a reply to message #24647] Mon, 03 January 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Wayne,
The monsoon planars are about 7 inches by 4 inches. They go up from 200 hz up. Below that is a sub, with an active crossover. A cheap little sub with cheap electronics, but decent.
The whole system is available on ebay nowadays fro about $100.
I am listening to it now, in my office.
It is as good as anything I have heard, in IT's INTENDED listening env, which means, on a desk, with about 18 inches of reflective surface. I think the planars are engineered to make use of the reflective surface, to provide a clean signal to the listener. SOund is very clear, and clean. Imaging is great. Highs are very nice, and effortless. Bass is very adwquate, surprisingly, given it is crossed at 200HZ. Imaging does not appear to be affected.
Overall, very very satisfying. They also serve as a gret reference for my home built speakers.....i now know for example that my home systems are pretty decent too, since they compare well to these "reference" computer audio system!

BTW, i got the idea to buy them from reading their review in the audio critic, written a couple of years ago. Peter aczel said they sounded as good as any high end system, in their intended environment. He was right.

The monsoon m1000 was designed by David Clark, who apprently also does a lot of audio design for automotive environments, and knows how to take advantage of reflective surfaces. All i can reiterate is, these are darn good!
-akhilesh

Re: Monsoon computer systems [message #24649 is a reply to message #24648] Tue, 04 January 2005 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I wonder if these are the little planars that dpi mentioned below.

Re: Monsoon computer systems [message #24651 is a reply to message #24649] Tue, 04 January 2005 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Very possible, Wayne. These are about 7 inches tall, which would be about a fifth of a meter. they are tiny (built for a desk) but handle 200HZ up with major aplomb.
-akhilesh

Re: Monsoon computer systems [message #24652 is a reply to message #24651] Tue, 04 January 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I wonder if they make other models?

Re: Monsoon computer systems [message #24653 is a reply to message #24652] Wed, 05 January 2005 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne,
THey do make other planar models. The company that makes them is called songistix. One can find monsoon planar speakers on audiogon. I think the home models are FPF models.
-akhilesh

Re: Monsoon computer systems [message #24661 is a reply to message #24653] Sat, 05 February 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zobsky is currently offline  zobsky
Baron
picked up a monsoon pm-14 computer sat-sub system last year on closeout at circuit city for $60, .. excellent sound and built very well, .. and since that point my reference for what PC sound systems should sound like. i prefer it to the klipsch systems (expecially given what i paid for it)

my one criticism would be the x-over point of 200Hz, .. which can result in localization of bass/midbass from the subwoofer if not placed somewhat equidistant between the sats.

Re: Monsoon computer systems [message #24668 is a reply to message #24646] Wed, 04 May 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guitarplayer is currently offline  guitarplayer
Baron
BTW, the driver elements are/were (?) licensed from Eminent Technology.

Regards,

Lee

Re: Monsoon computer systems [message #24669 is a reply to message #24668] Thu, 05 May 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I thought so. I thought songistix got their stuff from eminent....basically i read soemwhere there was a connection.
Those speakers in your room sounded really good. I heard a lot of people say they were impressed by the clarity. I certainly was!
Your cables were playing good stuff!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: monsoon planar media 7 as line array
Next Topic: Simple Open Back Line Arrays
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:35:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers