Home » Audio » General » We should call "Craftsman" the "Maytag Forum"
We should call "Craftsman" the "Maytag Forum" [message #2434] Mon, 14 November 2005 15:42 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
There's cobwebs over there.

C'mon! Somebody has to be building something? Or is it all on the Group Build Forum? Craftsman isn't just for wood, is it?

I'm nearing completion on the Hagerman Cornet and REALLY enjoying my Porter-Cable dovetail jig

In the background you can barely see one of a pair of Theatre-sized boxes for Speakermans Altec co-ax holding up the chop saw(that's why I've been incommunicado all weekend, Ron) and,

I've begun the assembly of a Marchand 3-way tube crossover which I'm going to review for Dagogo.
Whew!

Can I plug my new not-for-profit(darn-it) gig?

Re: We should call "Craftsman" the "Maytag Forum" [message #2435 is a reply to message #2434] Mon, 14 November 2005 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats the cats meow Bill; great stuff.

Re: We should call "Craftsman" the "Maytag Forum" [message #2441 is a reply to message #2434] Tue, 15 November 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Dovetail jig?!? Shame on you. Of all people, I'd thought you'd handcut.

I'm at the starting stage of building one of these right now, but don't know how far I'll get before the first snow fall. Still haven't found a bandsaw I can use.

Gar.

Re: We should call "Craftsman" the "Maytag Forum" [message #2442 is a reply to message #2434] Tue, 15 November 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,

You're just kicking ass on building things. As hard as I may work(not often)I still find playtime.

Your projects are all looking great!

Ron

Re: We should call "Craftsman" the "Maytag Forum" [message #2444 is a reply to message #2434] Tue, 15 November 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Man, that looks good Bill!

You really should do custom work, people would definitely get in line. I was certainly always interested.

So what's the new gig?

Re: We should call "Craftsman" the "Maytag Forum" [message #2445 is a reply to message #2441] Tue, 15 November 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Woah, that's cool! Man, you guys just knock me out sometimes.

Re: We should call "Craftsman" the "Maytag Forum" [message #2447 is a reply to message #2434] Tue, 15 November 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think the problem is just too many different subcategories.

But for general discussion, i think there is something of
note going on in Single Driver Forum discussion that's
worthwhile mentioning.

Not before a few days (weeks now I guess) has the use of
a CNC router been widely discussed as a tool for
machining speaker enclosures.

The 'group build' over there involves one designer and
another fellow who intend to execute the design with his
CNC aparatus.

This brainstorming session has gotten pretty longwinded,
but has shown some real promise. The design concept is for a
backhorn. The CNC setup can make the turns needed to smoothe
out the horn path.

Re: We should call "Craftsman" the "Maytag Forum" [message #2449 is a reply to message #2434] Tue, 15 November 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Got a new 2800 sq ft workshop last week. Does that count? The door's too small for our "portable" railcar-size sewage treatment plant to fit through. Damn.

Congrats on the Dagogo gig. Looks like that's going to be fun. Are you allowed to post picts of the xover before the review is published?.......Colin

Re: I could eschew dovetail machinery pre-bifocals [message #2450 is a reply to message #2441] Tue, 15 November 2005 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This jig, at the price, $169 has really terriffic features. Joint too loose or too tight? No prob. Put the pieces back in and re-adjust to the engraved lines. It's the do-over exactness that makes it work. Once aligned, box after box after......
Like that chair. Hickory?
Hey there was just a Vegas Wood machines show so maybe new models will yield a deal on a bandsaw. Don't settle for less than a 14" 1 horse. Wait if you have to.

Re: I could eschew dovetail machinery pre-bifocals [message #2451 is a reply to message #2450] Tue, 15 November 2005 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Toronto Woodworking Show is coming up so I'm hoping to get a deal. The Sears Craftman 1/3hp just ain't cutting it (no pun intended). Great for cutting the 1/4" templates but chokes on 2" cherry. Oh well. Got it used for $50 and can probably sell it for the same price.

Jigs are the way to go if you're pounding out several boxes. For one-off's I prefer hand-cut. Love the looks of skinny pins that you can't get with jigs.

Previous Topic: The Civility of this Forum
Next Topic: How would consumers re-difine audio re-production?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 09:00:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio